Thursday, February 2, 2017

The O'Neal Girls Chapter 29

Chapter 29


The family reached home late that night. The girls hurried into their nightgowns and into their beds. They had church tomorrow and would have to be up bright and early the following morning. Cassandra and Danielle moved downstairs into the big room with the other girls and Isaac and Kenny took over the loft. 
Danielle lay in bed and tried to sleep but her mind was swimming with thoughts. Eric Butler… 
Danielle sighed; she couldn’t rid him from her mind. He kept coming back to her thoughts; his dark hair, his brown eyes, his kind face. Danielle had never thought about a boy this way before.
C’mon, Danielle. You’re acting like Cassandra!  Danielle tried to push the boy from her thoughts but he wouldn’t leave. Danielle was still thinking of him by the time she fell asleep.

~~~

At church Sunday morning, Danielle saw Eric Butler again. He was there with his family, sitting right in front of the O’Neals. After the service, Eric walked over to the O’Neals. 
“Hello, again,” he greeted the family. His eye fell specifically on Danielle. 
The O’Neals returned the greeting warmly.  
“This is a really nice church.” 
“Yes it is,” Paul agreed. “Nothing better than a Bible-preaching church.” 
“Yes, sir.” 
Mr. and Mrs. Butler joined the group. “We’d like to have you over for supper sometime this week,” Mrs. Butler told Paul and Lillian. 
“We’d love to come over,” Lillian returned. 
“How does Wednesday sound?” 
“Paul?” 
“Sounds good to me. We’ll be over around five.” 
“Good,” Mr. Butler nodded. “Time to go, Eric.” 
Eric looked up from where he was chatting with Danielle. “Oh, sure Pa.” He grinned at Danielle and followed his parents to their wagon.  

~~~ 

That evening after dinner, Lillian found some time to talk with Danielle privately. Paul was telling a story to Megan and Nadia, Lynn was receiving a sewing lesson from Cassandra, Faith was reading her latest novel, Elsie was working on her dress, and the boys were whittling some sticks. Lillian carried Oakley into her bedroom with Danielle following. Lillian shut the door and placed sleeping Oakley into his cradle.
“Now, let’s talk.” Lillian sat down on the edge of the bed. 
Danielle sat down beside Lillian. “About what?” 
“About you.” 
“Me?” 
“Mhm,” Lillian nodded, “you and Eric Butler.” 
A blush crept over Danielle face. “What does he have to do with me?” she stammered. 
“A lot apparently,” Lillian said with a knowing smile. “Now, we talk seriously about this? I need to talk to Danielle, not Danni.”
Danielle chuckled. Belle had started the idea that Danielle had two sides; the silly, carefree Danni, and the serious Danielle. “Okay.”
“So what are you thinking about Eric? I see the wheels in your head turning every time you see him.” 
            “I don’t know.” Danielle turned back to her mother. “He is smart, considerate, and fun. Just from talking with him for a little while I could tell all those things. And I hope I get to know him more.” 
I want to get to know him and his family more too. Just promise me that you will talk to Paul and I if you Nick decide to pursue anything.” 
Danielle nodded, “Okay, I will.”
            “Thank-you, darling.” 
~~~ 
Paul enjoyed storytelling. Most would agree he was the best storyteller in Fairburn, and he could probably rival any storyteller in the Dakota Territory. The girls loved to spend evenings listen to Paul’s enthralling stories. Reaching the climax of his story, Paul leaped off the couch and began acting it out.
“The bear stood on his hind legs and growled at the little girl!” Paul roared out his bear growl. 
Megan and Nadia screeched. 
“The bear stomped towards the girl,” Paul continued while stomping towards Nadia and Megan. 
Megan and Nadia clung to each other and screamed again. 
“Then the bear got really close to the girl and glared at her with drool dripping from his jaws. Then with another huge growl he—” 
“Paul!” 
Paul turned to see Lillian and Danielle walking out of the bedroom. Danielle was chuckling at Paul’s story and Lillian was heading his way. “What?” 
“That will be quite enough,” Lillian said walking past him to the little girls. “You’re going to frighten them.” 
Paul winked at Danielle. “C’mon Lillian, it wasn’t that bad of a story. I haven’t told them by story about the wild Indians and the baby—” 
Megan and Nadia covered their ears and shrieked. 
“Paul!” Lillian said turning and glaring at him.  
Paul grinned at Danielle who grinned back. 
Lillian took Megan’s and Nadia’s hands and walked with them to their bedroom. “It’s late and you all have school tomorrow.” 
The girls and boys cleaned up their activities and called their goodnights as they entered their bedrooms.
~~~ 

Wednesday evening came and the O’Neals rode over to the Butler cabin a couple miles up the road. The family reached the small farm house nestled among the trees after a few minutes. The Butler family hurried out to greet them. Paul jumped off the wagon and helped Lillian down. The rest of the family climbed down and eagerly shouted their hellos. Paul and Mr. Butler unhitched Ruth and Esther and took the mares to the pasture while Mrs. Butler crowded everyone inside.  
The Butler home was newly built. There was a kitchen connected to a sitting room and three small rooms in the back. The girls and Lillian found places to sit and stand in the sitting room as Isaac, Kenny, Paul and Mr. Butler entered. Soon conversations were started and flooded around the room. Amidst all the hubbub, Eric chatted with Danielle. 
“How have you been?” Eric asked. 
“Good. How about you?” Danielle returned. 
“Fine…hey, uh…are you doing anything tomorrow afternoon?” 
Danielle shook her head. 
“Well, I was wondering if you wanted to go for ride around the hills. Maybe you could show me around?” 
“I’d have to ask Ma and Pa,” Danielle answered. “But I’d love too.” 
Eric smiled, “Good.” 
~~~

Thursday afternoon after lunch, Danielle saddled Strawberry and trotted over to the Butler cabin. Paul and Lillian both agreed to let Danielle go over to the Butlers but Danielle had to take Megan with her. 
“Megan?” Danielle had asked in surprise. 
“Someone needs to be with you,” Lillian explained patiently. “We still don’t know the Butlers very well. Just until we feel we can trust Eric, you’ll have to have someone else with you.” 
Danielle sighed, “But Megan?”
“I can’t spare the older ones. It’s Megan or Nadia.” 
“I’ll take Megan.”
            Danielle and Megan reached the little farm and saw Eric and his father working on the fields. Their pair of oxen were striving against the harness and plowing through the hard soil. Danielle rode up to the field and watched the men. Both men had obviously been working for a while. They had dirt all over their shirts and overalls and both looked tired. Eric turned the oxen around and noticed the Hansen girls. He waved a hand at them. 

“I’ll be right over!” he boomed. He handed the reins to his father and jogged across the field to the girls. “Howdy,” he said once he was near. 
“Hi,” Danielle responded. 
“Howdy!” Megan crowed. 
“Let’s hike down to the creek so I can wash up a little.”
Danielle left Strawberry in the pasture and Eric led the way to a small creek. Once there he eagerly splashed some water on his face. 
“How’s the plowing going?” Danielle asked. 
“Tough. It’s hard work.” 
“The city-boy can’t handle it?” Megan questioned. 
Danielle raised her eyebrows in surprise. “Megan!” she reprimanded.  
“Oh, city-boy huh?” Eric looked up from the creek. He leaned over and grabbed Megan. Megan squealed as he picked her up and dangled her over the creek. 
“Don’t! Please!” she begged. 
“Eric! Put her down.” Danielle grabbed Eric’s sleeve. 
Eric placed Megan down and smiled. “Just wanted to teach her a lesson.” 
“Well, it was the truth,” Danielle responded. 
“Oh? You agree too?” 
“You are a city-boy.” 
Eric lunged over and seized Danielle. He spun around and held her dangerously close to the creek water. 
Danielle shrieked in surprise. “Put … me … down!” she said as she tried to wriggle free. 
“Take it back!” Eric demanded. 
“Never!” Danielle responded defiantly. 
Eric lowered her closer to the water. Danielle’s hair was skimming the top of the water. 
“Okay, fine I take it back!” Danielle cried. 
Eric set Danielle back down on the ground. “I was only joking; I’d never dunk you in the creek.” He looked over at her with a strange look.  
Danielle looked back at him. She couldn’t discern the look but she had a feeling she was looking at him the same way.  
Eric offered his hand and helped Danielle cross the creek. “Let’s walk up this way.” 
“Sure,” Danielle agreed. 
Megan darted ahead and ran among the wildflowers and trees leaving Danielle and Eric to walk together. 
“Tell me about yourself,” Eric asked. 
“Well, you know I have nine sisters. Two of my sisters, Hannah and Jinger, died a few months back. I have four brothers too. Ma and Pa adopted me about a year ago and I’ve live here now.” 
“How old are you?” 
“Sixteen.” 
“I’m eighteen,” he responded. “My family has always lived in the city. My father worked with the family business for a while but then he got tired and restless. We decided to make the journey west and start a new life.” 
“That’s how my Mama and Papa, my real parents, met,” Danielle said. “Their families moved out west and they met each other in eastern Dakota Territory.”
“You must miss you parents,” Eric said quietly. 
“Look at these flowers Danielle!” Megan called. 
Danielle looked up and smiled at Megan. “They’re beautiful!” she called back. 
Megan turned around and rushed towards another patch of flowers. 
Danielle looked back at Eric, “I do miss my parents. But I was only ten when Mama died so I don’t remember a whole lot about her and even less about my Papa. In fact, for Lynn, Megan, and Nadia, Paul and Lillian are the only parents they ever remember.” 
“I’m sorry.” 
“It’s okay,” she shrugged. “The O’Neals have been really good to us.” 
The duo called Megan back to them and the threesome started walking back to the farm. Eric kept up a steady flow of random questions to entertain Megan. When they reached the edge of the woods, Eric pulled Danielle back. 
“What?” Danielle asked him. 
“Danielle … I want to ask you a question.”
“Yes?” 
“Would you mind…if I asked your Pa if I could court you?” 
Danielle looked at Eric in shock. Court me?! Why, I’ve never been courted before…
“Danielle?”
“I…well…”
“Do you have a beau?” Eric asked nervously.
“No! I’ve never been courted before.”
“Would you mind if I were the first?” 
Danielle looked deep into his blue eyes. “I'd love that…” 

~~~ 

“For goodness sake!” Cassandra cried throwing her hands up the air. “My little sister goes way for one afternoon and she suddenly has a suitor! She’s worse than me!” 
Danielle blushed deep crimson at Cassandra’s reaction. Eric had just left the O’Neal house after he asked if he could court Danielle. Paul had responded with an easy yes. Paul quickly broke the news to Lillian and Cassandra. The other girls were busy with homework and chores. 
“Eric seems like a really nice fellow,” Paul voiced his approval. “I like him.” 
“He is very polite and I haven’t seen anything to cause any concern,” Lillian nodded. She looked at Danielle. “You seem to be the only one who doesn’t look happy.”  
Danielle shrugged. “I’m just taking it in. On the inside I’m very happy,” she whispered.  
Cassandra laughed, “Well you certainly keep yourself together more than I do.” She smiled teasingly at her sister and gave her a hug. “I’m happy for you, little sister.”  

~~~ 

Danielle rolled her hair into a fancy styled bun and carefully pinned it into place. She gazed into the mirror and stared at her reflection. Who am I trying to fool? Danielle sighed, This isn’t me…  
Cassandra entered the bedroom and called to her sister. “Eric will be here soon.” 
“Yes; I know…” Danielle frowned. 
“Need any help?” 
“No…yes…I don’t know!” Danielle leaned back in her chair and looked over at Cassandra. “It’s just…this isn’t me! I’m not used to all this dressing up and—” 
“Well, there’s your problem!” Cassandra interrupted. 
“What?”  
“You’re trying to be somebody else. You can’t change yourself. You’ll always be rough and tough Danni. You can’t change into a prissy girl just for some boy! You think just because a boy suddenly likes you, you need to change.” 
“Yeah...” 
“Well don’t. You’ll ruin your relationship because Eric will see you as some new girl, not the girl he likes.” 
“So you’re saying I should go out to dinner with him in my overalls and pigtails?”
“NO!” Cassandra burst out. “No, no, no, you completely misunderstood!”
“I’m teasing!” Danielle rolled her eyes. “But I have to look nice somehow.”  
“You want to look nice but you also want to look like Danielle. Here.” 
Cassandra stood up and went over to her sister. She unwound the bun and brushed out Danielle’s brown locks. She swept up half the hair and clipped it with a barrette at the back of Danielle’s head. 
“You see,” Cassandra said stepping away. “Something simple that is Danni style.” 
Cassandra helped Danielle change into the dress and once they were finished, they walked out into the sitting room.  
“You look pretty tonight,” Megan gaped as Danielle entered the room.  
Danielle laughed and thanked Megan. 
“Where are you going?” Elsie asked curiously. 
Danielle looked around at her sisters. It was time to tell them. “Girls, I have something to tell you.” 
Nadia rushed over and grabbed Danielle around the waist. “Don’t leave us Danni! Don’t go away like Belle!!” 
The other girls sent a panicked look at Danielle. 
“No! I’m not leaving, Nadia.” Danielle bent down and picked up her youngest sister.  
“Quit sniveling,” Kenny muttered to his youngest sister. 
Danielle sent him a stern look and Isaac elbowed him. 
Nadia sniffed and looked at Danielle. “Are you sure?” 
“I’m not leaving,” Danielle repeated. “Do you remember Eric Butler? He has decided to court me. We’re going out to dinner tonight.” 
Elsie and Faith ran over and hugged Danielle.  
“I’m so excited for you, Danielle!” Faith said. 
“Me too! I hope you have fun tonight,” Elsie added.  
Danielle set Nadia down and smiled at her sisters. “Of course I’ll have fun.” 
A knock sounded on the door. Paul went to answer it. Paul opened the door and welcomed Eric inside. Eric was dressed in a clean green shirt and black coat. A black bowtie was wound around his neck and his hair was neatly combed.  
“You ladies ready?” he asked. 
Cassandra and Danielle nodded their heads. Paul and Lillian had insisted Cassandra was to tag along to supervise and for once, Danielle didn't argue since she was still nervous about the idea of courting.  
Eric promised to have the girls back by nine at the very latest and led the girls outside. He helped both into the buggy. Cassandra sat in the back and Danielle and Eric sat up front together. Eric slapped the reins and his horses began trotting down the road.

1 comment:

  1. Danielle.... COURTING?!?! O.o
    Wow.
    Great chapter, as always, Lauren! Keep 'em comin'! ;D

    ReplyDelete