Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Joy to the World!

As part of the 12 Days of Christmas Blog Link-Up hosted by Faith P, I am writing this post about my favorite Christmas hymn. If you haven't already, please check out these other blogs and their Christmas posts!!



It is very, very difficult for me to pick ONE favorite song. I usually divide it into certain categories to make it easier...but usually I still end up with multiple favorites. I just looooove music so much. However, when it comes to Christmas Hymns, "Joy to the World" is definitely my favorite (with a few close seconds of course. There are few Christmas songs I don't like.)

I researched some history on "Joy to the World" so share with you guys. "Joy to the World" was written by Isaac Watts and based on Psalm 98 which I have below:


O sing unto the Lord a new song; for he hath done marvellous things: his right hand, and his holy arm, hath gotten him the victory.
The Lord hath made known his salvation: his righteousness hath he openly shewed in the sight of the heathen.
He hath remembered his mercy and his truth toward the house of Israel: all the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God.
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise.
Sing unto the Lord with the harp; with the harp, and the voice of a psalm.
With trumpets and sound of cornet make a joyful noise before the Lord, the King.
Let the sea roar, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein.
Let the floods clap their hands: let the hills be joyful together
Before the Lord; for he cometh to judge the earth: with righteousness shall he judge the world, and the people with equity.

I think you'll be able to spot some words in there that correlate with the verses in "Joy to the World". This song was published in 1767 and was actually written as a song about Jesus' Second Coming, not His Birth! However, for reasons that I don't know of, this song has become a popular Christmas hymn.

I don't know why this is my favorite Christmas hymn but it has been for as long as I can remember. It is one of the first songs that I learned all the harmony parts to (For any musical people out there. I learned soprano, alto, tenor, and even the bass--I just sing up an octave). I just think the music for it is just so much fun to sing. It's peppy and exciting and joyful! And the harmonies are great. I especially love the soprano/alto harmonies on "Let every heart prepare Him room"

Two years, during the Christmas season at our church, I wrote the upcoming paragraph after a Sunday morning service. The advantages of being in choir is that you can hear all the different harmonies! This paragraph describes my obsession with music and singing and how much I love the song. (The people I mention are actually people who attend my church but I just changed their names for privacy reasons :)

"We started singing Christmas songs now!!!!! Choir opener was "Joy to the World" and I sang some tenor and then eventually switched to alto and bass. We sang all the verses with the congregation. Oh my...Mr. Evans was pumping! I know that's a weird word but it kinda describes it. He was rumbling along and then he would "pump" up (kinda like how organists play the organ) to a higher note (more of a baritone note. Not a tenor note) but it was soooooooooooo good. His voice is awesome. I could hear Nicole and Nadia singing out the melody and Mrs. Evans' clear soprano a tad. I loved it." 

"Joy to the World" is just such an exciting and joyous song! When I sing it, I can't help but smile away as we lift our voices in praise to our Lord of Lords and King of Kings!

11 comments:

  1. "Joy to the World" is one of my favorite Christmas songs too. I didn't actually know that it was based off Psalm 98. I enjoyed learning more about this song.
    Thanks for sharing, Lauren! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too just found out about the Psalm 98! Thanks commenting :D

      Delete
  2. It's a favorite of mine too!! (Or should I say three?) :) I never knew that it was based off Psalms 98. That's really neat! :D
    Oh, I loved reading what you'd written after a Sunday service. :) I can so picture myself doing something similar in our choir. (Except I know NOTHING about music. :P) But singing in the choir is oh, so such fun! ;-)

    Thanks for participating, Lauren! This is so much fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D I have a bad memory so I try to keep a diary documenting as much of my life as I can. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Oh, are you a music/singer lover too?!? That's so amazing, Lauren, I am too :) Are you mostly a soprano or alto?

    That's very interesting about Joy to the World being written for Christ's second coming instead of his birth. Never knew that!! :)

    Thanks for sharing, Lauren! It was a lot of fun to read AND find out a bunch of other stuff that I didn't know about this awesome hymn! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fellow music lover!! Woohoo :D I am definitely an alto. I have a low voice and sometimes my choir director calls on me to help the tenors :P Which part do you sing?
      Glad you enjoyed the post! Thanks for commenting

      Delete
    2. Wow, alto AND tenor! :) My vocal teacher told me that there is rarely any girls that can sing tenor, but this year, I've found two people already! You and my friend from church! ;) I'm usually a soprano, but I can sing alto sometimes. Not too often, because most times I growl like bear when I do :P

      Delete
    3. Yeah my friends tell me I have a "man voice" :P I can go to about an E flat or D below Middle C til my voice starts to croak :P I always wanted a soprano voice!! I always admire those soprano high notes. My sister sings soprano.

      Delete
  4. Well, I LOVE music, but I don't sing. :P
    My music is playing (and speaking) piano. ;) So...not sure if I'd be considered a musical person. :)
    I really enjoyed reading the post! This is one of my favorite Christmas songs to play this year because it's the "easiest" of my difficult piano. But besides that,I love the song anyway!
    It was so interesting to read all the facts about it! :) And I loved reading what you'd written after the service! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think you'd be considered a musical person, Jesseca! :D

      Delete
    2. Of course youre musical! I know a number of people who play piano but dont sing much. Glad you liked my post :) I wasn't sure about adding in the paragraph I wrote after the one church service...but it seems you guys liked it!

      Delete