Thursday, February 9, 2017

The O'Neal Girls Chapter 30

What kind of writer would I be if I let my characters live with no chaos for too long? :) 

Chapter 30


They arrived at Fairburn and Eric led the ladies into Robert’s Restaurant, the best restaurant in town. Eric found a table for three and helped Cassandra and Danielle into their seats. A waiter walked by and offered a glass of water for the group. The group accepted and ordered their meals.  
“So, how are things going with you and Joe,” Eric asked Cassandra. 
Cassandra looked at Eric in surprise. “How do you know about me and Joe?” 
“I met Joe at the blacksmith yesterday. I mentioned Danielle and I were going out to eat today and I asked him about a place to eat. He mentioned you two ate here often.” 
“Oh,” Cassandra nodded. “Well, things are going very well. Joe and I are waiting until we save up enough money before we get married.” 
“That’s wonderful,” Eric smiled. “Glad for you both.” He turned to Danielle, “How’s your brother Albert and his fiancée doing?” 
“Very well,” Danielle said. “We got a letter from him last week. He just bought some land from his boss and now he and Gideon are beginning to build a house on it.” 
“That’s great; I look forward to meeting him someday.” 

The evening was filled with good stories and enjoyable fellowship. At eight-thirty, the three arrived back at the O’Neal farm. Eric helped Cassandra out of the buggy. 
“Thank-you, Eric,” Cassandra smiled at Eric kindly before she headed inside. 
Eric nodded and looked back to Danielle. “Did you have nice evening?” 
Danielle smiled, “I did. Thank-you so much.” 
Eric helped her down and walked her up to the house. “I’m glad.” 
The duo reached the cabin and they paused. Eric looked down at Danielle and grinned bashfully, 
“Danielle…you’re the prettiest girl I ever saw.” 
Danielle blushed brightly and she was thankful that it was dark out. “Well…ah… um… thank-you,” she stammered. 
Eric took her hand and kissed it. “See ya later.” He turned around and strolled back to his buggy.  
Danielle walked inside and was greeted by Lillian and Paul. 
“Hello,” her parents said. 
“Hi.” 
“How was your evening?” Paul asked. 
“Very good. I really enjoyed it.” Danielle continued through the sitting room and toward the loft steps. “I’m tired. I’m going right to bed.” 
“Alright then,” Lillian nodded. “Goodnight, darling.” 
“Goodnight, Danielle,” Paul added. 
“Night.”
~~~ 

As the weeks past, Eric continued taking Danielle to dinner. Paul and Lillian felt confident in the two and allowed Danielle and Eric to go without a chaperone. Danielle was excited and thrilled about the sign of trust Paul and Lillian instilled in her. Eric was happy as well to spend a few hours with just Danielle.  
            During one of their dinners, Eric leaned forward on the table and took Danielle’s hands. “Danielle…I know we haven’t known each other for long but…I feel strongly about you. I think you might be the one for me.” 
She smiled at him. “I think you're the one for me too.” 
“I hope we keep seeing each other often.” 
“Me too.” 
~~~ 
The rest of the dinner went by quickly and the evening was over all too soon. Eric took Danielle back home by eight o’clock. When they reached the O’Neal cabin, Eric stopped the buggy and looked over at Danielle.
“Will you have a picnic with me next Saturday?”
“Sure! I’ll pack a lunch for us.”
“Great. See you then.”
Danielle climbed out of the buggy and headed inside.
Paul was waiting for Danielle when she walked in. “How was your evening?” 
“Wonderful!” 
Paul put his arm around Danielle. “So do you see a future with Eric?” 
Danielle looked at Paul very seriously, “Pa, I love him…I think he’s the one. I want to spend the rest of my life with him.” 
“Lillian and I guessed that much. You look so happy together.” The O’Neals were surprised at how quickly Eric and Danielle’s relationship was progressing, but they could see how Eric and Danielle felt about each other.
“So if we would get engaged…you’d approve?” 
“You’re speaking of engagement already?”  
“Well…a little…” 
“Don’t rush things,” Paul cautioned, “but Lillian and I do approve of Eric. Just take your time and really get to know him.” 
“Oh, I will!” Danielle kissed Paul goodnight and hurried into her room.  

~~~ 

The next morning the children were all at the pond, swimming on the warm summer day. Cassandra was doing the laundry and Danielle and Lillian were doing a thorough cleaning of the kitchen. Paul was in Fairburn delivering logs to the mill. It was a quiet morning in the Dakota Territory.  
Paul came home at eleven. He walked into the house silently. His usual big, booming hello was not with him. He quietly asked if he could speak with Lillian in their room.  
“What is it?” Lillian asked once they were in the privacy of the bedroom. 
“Early this morning there was a bank robbery,” Paul said in a monotone voice. 
“What exactly happened?” Lillian inquired with worry. 
“There were three men. They went inside the bank and demanded the clerk open the safe.” 
“Were there any others in the bank at the time?” 
Paul nodded. “Two. Mitchell Butler and Eric.” 
“Anyone hurt?” 
“Eric…he was shot.” 
“Paul…” Lillian said with an uneasy voice. 
“He’s dead.” 
Lillian was speechless with shock. “Oh Paul! Paul, no!” Lillian leaned on Paul and Paul enclosed her in his arms. “How?” 
“He tried to jump one of the men but the other guys pulled their guns on him.” Paul lowered his voice. “What are we gonna tell Danielle?” 
Lillian pulled back sharply. “I don’t know…”  


“We shouldn’t hide it any longer from her.” 
“I agree.” 
Paul and Lillian walked into the kitchen together where Danielle was busy scrubbing the stove.  
“Danielle, we’d like to talk with you.” 
Danielle turned around and gave Paul and Lillian her attention. “Yes?” 
“There was a bank robbery in town last night,” Lillian said. 
“That’s awful!” Danielle exclaimed. 
“Well…there were some injured people,” Paul said uneasily. 
“Who was hurt?” 
“Well uh….” 
Danielle started feeling uncomfortable. Something wasn’t right. Lillian and Paul were hiding something from her.  “Pa…Ma…” 
Lillian placed her hand on Danielle’s arm. “Darling … Eric was there last night during the robbery…” 
Danielle stiffened. 
“Eric’s dead,” Paul broke the news.  
Danielle stood motionless. Her breath came in short violent breaths and her entire body shook.  
“He was trying to stop the robbers but…” 
“No…no…no…it’s a mistake.” Danielle walked over to the sink. 


“Danielle,” Lillian said softly. “I’m sorry…” 
Danielle covered her mouth and tried to hold back her sobs. “No…it can’t be!” 
“Danni, please,” Paul begged. “Eric is dead…we’re sorry…” 
“He isn’t dead! You’re lying to me!” 
Lillian rushed over to Danielle. “No, Danielle, please listen. We aren’t lying, he’s gone…it can’t be helped…we can’t change it.” 
Danielle moved away from Lillian. She seized one of Lillian’s china plates and hurled it across the room. “NO!” The plate shattered against the wall. 
“Danni!” Paul yelled at her. “That is no way to act!” 
“Let her go,” Lillian said to Paul.
“She just destroyed that plate!” Paul pointed to Danielle, “Calm down!”
“Paul, leave her be,” Lillian took his arm.
Sobs broke through Danielle as she raced into the bedroom and left Lillian and Paul to clean up the china pieces. Cassandra walked inside and surveyed the scene.  
“I heard a crash…” Cassandra stared at the broken china plate. 
Paul and Lillian quietly told about Eric’s death to Cassandra. Cassandra stood there in shock.  
“That’s…that’s…awful!” 
“We know…just try to be there for Danielle,” Lillian said. “She’s taking it very hard.” 
“And I also want everyone to be aware that those three men who robbed the bank could still be nearby. There is a posse out now searching for them but…it could ugly around here,” Paul said to Cassandra and Lillian. “I’ll tell the others tonight.” 

~~~

Danielle cried most of the day and wouldn’t eat anything. Paul and Lillian were very worried about their daughter. After supper was finished, Lillian brought some food to Danielle. 
“Go away,” Danielle muttered. 
“I brought some supper,” Lillian replied. 
“I’m not hungry.” 
Lillian sat down on the bed beside Danielle. “You need to eat something.” She placed a fork in Danielle’s hand.  
Danielle dropped it. “I don’t want anything!” 
“Come on, you must be a little hungry,” Lillian persisted. 
Danielle didn’t respond. 
Lillian sighed, “If you don’t eat this food by the time I return, I’m going to have to force you to eat.” Lillian stood up and placed the food on the bedside table. “I don’t want to, but it seems I have no choice.” 
Danielle turned and stared at the wall. She refused to give in and eat. She was too upset and angry and confused and hurt. Ten minutes later, Lillian returned to the bedroom. She looked at the untouched plate of food.  
“Danielle, you need to eat something.” She took the fork and speared a piece of venison. She handed Danielle the fork.  
Danielle threw herself face down on the bed. “Just leave me alone!” 
“Danielle, you can’t go on like this.” 
“I loved him, Ma! I loved him.” 
Lillian laid her hand on Danielle’s back, her fingers tracing soft circles on the sobbing girl’s back. “I know you did. But would Eric want to see you like this? If you don’t pull yourself together, you’re going to get sick.” 
“But I’m just not hungry. I can’t eat at a time like this.” 
“Of course you can eat,” Lillian handed Danielle the fork again. “Here.” 
“The smell makes me sick.” 
“It’s because you’re so hungry. Just eat a little bit…” 
Danielle stayed silent. 
“For me?” 
Still no movement. 
“For your sisters and Oakley?” 
Nothing. 
“What about Eric? Do it for him. Eric wouldn’t want you to act this way.” 
Danielle sighed and sat up. She took the fork and ate the venison. She ate a piece of bread and half of the venison before she decided she couldn’t take anymore. 
“Alright, now try and get some rest,” Lillian said leaving the bedroom. 

~~~

Nighttime was the hardest time for Danielle. Recently, her nights were filled with dreams of Eric but not tonight; there was nothing to dream about. Danielle felt a wave of tears overcome her. Danielle grabbed her robe and fled outside. She rolled a log over from the woodpile and stood it on end so she could sit there and think. She cried a little and prayed some. She thought of Eric and all the plans they had started to make together.
Rain began to rain down on Danielle as she sat outside. She didn’t even notice the water splattering against her face. She was so focused on her sorrow for Eric, that she didn’t feel anything else. 
“Danni?” Isaac stood in the doorway, watching his sister. 
Danielle didn’t move.
“Danni, I’m sorry about Eric … I really am.” 
Danielle’s eyes remained fixated off in the distance. 
Sensitive Isaac watched Danielle a little longer. “Are you alright?” He watched the rain soak through Danielle’s thin robe. “I’m gonna go get Mr. and Mrs. O’Neal,” he said, running inside.
Isaac hadn’t noticed that Danielle was crying. Her silent tears mixed with the rain drops and snaked down her face in a wet stream.  Danielle found her voice after Isaac left. “Oh God! Why did You take Eric? Why Eric? I needed him … I needed him…” 
Paul suddenly appeared beside Danielle. His arms encircled her shoulders and his beard tickled her ear. 
“Danni! Come inside.” 
Danielle automatically stood and leaned against Paul as he helped her inside.  


“Danielle, what on earth?” Lillian was waiting for Danielle inside the cabin. She and Paul peeled off Danielle’s wet robe and wrapped a dry blanket around Danielle. 
Paul sat Danielle down at the kitchen table and sat down across from her. He looked tired and worried as he rubbed his beard. Lillian and Isaac made themselves busy in the kitchen; making tea and buttering bread.  
“Drink this,” Lillian pushed a cup of tea in front of Danielle. 
Danielle sipped the tea and welcomed the warmth that entered her body. Lillian sat beside Paul and Isaac slipped in beside Danielle. 
“Here’s some bread.” 
Danielle nibbled on the bread. 
“Isaac, why don’t you go to bed?” Lillian said gently.  
“Alright.” Isaac stood and said goodnight. “Goodnight, Mr. O’Neal. Goodnight, Mrs. O’Neal.” 
“Goodnight, son,” Paul said. 
“Sweet dreams,” Lillian whispered. 
The O’Neals turned their attention on Danielle. “Are you alright now?” 
Danielle stared at the wall adjacent to her. Her eyes had a faraway look in them. She didn’t seem to hear them.
Paul and Lillian exchanged glances. Danielle seemed to be half asleep; her mind somewhere between reality and the dream world. 
“Honey, let’s get you back into bed,” Lillian put her arm around Danielle and walked her back to bed. She helped her daughter into bed and fixed the blankets around her. Her heart ached for Danielle. She hated to see her suffering like this. “I’m sorry, darling,” she whispered as she brushed a gentle kiss against Danielle’s forehead. She returned to her own bedroom and slipped into bed beside Paul. 
“How long will she act like this?” Paul wondered aloud. 
“I don’t know. A broken heart is a very awful thing,” Lillian said. “When my father forbid you to court me, I was crushed.” 
Paul sighed in agreement. “I was heartbroken too.” He leaned over and kissed his wife. “I want to help Danielle…I just don’t know how to.” 
“I’m not sure either…we just have to be loving and understanding.” 

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. *sniffs* I miss Eric and I feel bad for removing him from the story so quickly...but all to the furtherance of my story, right? :)

      Delete
  2. O.O NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! *glares at Lauren* *glares at the bank robbers* *glares at Eric for leaving Danni brokenhearted*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *meekly hangs head* Sorry!! But, alas, it needed to be done haha!

      Delete