Tuesday, November 8, 2016

The O'Neal Girls Chapter 28

Another chapter for you guys! This is the wedding chapter!! I have a special post prepared soon to give you some backstory "behind the scenes" information about the Hansen and O'Neal girls stories.

Chapter 28


The morning of the wedding arrived. Everyone was in a rush to get ready. There were girls to be dressed, hair to be brushed, and everyone needed to get to the church on time. All the girls had new dresses that were either made or fixed up from an old hand-me-down. Danielle even relented to wearing the elegant pink dress Lillian had made for her. Cassandra spent hours on her own hair and on Danielle’s. She piled Danielle’s hair on top of her head in a fashionable way. Danielle even gave her approval.  The little girls had their hair braided in a thick braid down the back like Belle always wore hers, the twins had intricate buns pinned at the back of their heads as did Lillian. Oakley was dressed up with a suit and bowtie that made him a miniature version of his pa. It took some time but finally everyone was ready to go to the country church. 
~~~ 
​            Belle waited nervously to enter the church. Although she was nervous, she was also overjoyed and thrilled that within moments, she would be married to Caleb. She was dressed in Alice’s wedding gown. The wedding dress fit almost perfectly; Belle only spent a short time on alterations and it flattered her figure.  
Belle asked Paul if he would walk her down the aisle. Paul, honored that Belle would ask him, proudly accepted.  
The organ began playing.  
Paul smiled at Belle, “Here we go. You ready?”
“Ready,” Belle said. 
The two began walking down the aisle. Belle looked straight ahead at her soon-to-be husband up front. He was wearing a jet black suit and tie and he looked very handsome with his blond hair combed back. 
~~~ 
​            “I Caleb, take thee Belle, to be my lawfully, wedded wife.” 
“I Belle, take thee Caleb, to be my lawfully, wedded husband.” 


​ 
​            When they were given permission, Caleb leaned toward Belle and kissed her. A cheer went up as everyone clapped. Belle and Caleb turned toward the small crowd of people. Out of all the people, she noticed four people in the back row: four chocolate headed boys. Kenny, Isaac, Gideon, and Albert waved wildly. Belle rushed down to meet them. 
​            “Kenny! Gideon! Isaac! Albert!” Belle started crying at the sight of her brothers. The boys piled out of the pew and hugged Belle. 
​“Congratulations, sister,” Gideon said after he hugged her. 
​            “We wish you the best,” Kenny nodded. 
​            “I’m so glad for you Belle,” Isaac whispered. 
​Belle hugged them again and wiped away her tears. “I can’t believe you’re all here!”  
“I hate to break this up but the food is waiting for us, Belle,” Caleb whispered.  
“We’ll talk later,” Belle promised as she followed Caleb outside to where the dancing and food was to be held. 
~~~​
After food was passed out, Belle left Caleb to meet with her brothers. With her brothers was a young woman with chestnut brown hair. 
“Belle, I want you to meet Judy,” Albert said. “She is my fiancĂ©e.” 
“Albert!” Belle cried out in delight. “I’m so happy for you!” She hugged him again.  
Albert warmly hugged her back. 
Belle extended her hand her shook Judy’s hand. “Pleased to meet you.” 
Judy smiled, “Pleased to meet you too. Albert and the boys told me many stories.” 
“All good ones I presume?” Belle said sending a look Albert’s way. 
Albert laughed, “Mostly.” 
“Mostly?!” Belle smiled teasingly and turned to Gideon. “Gideon! My, how you’ve grown! I remember when you were shorter than the twins and now you must be taller than Danielle.” Belle reached over and hugged him.  
Gideon grinned, “Yeah, I reckon I did grow some. Now Danni can’t whoop me anymore.” 
“I’m sure she’ll be disappointed in that,” Belle winked. She looked over at Isaac. “Oh, Isaac…” she trailed off and hugged him closely. “I missed you so much.” She kissed his forehead. 
“I missed you too,” Isaac mumbled. “I’m sorry for leaving.” 
“It’s alright. I don’t blame anyone and I’m not mad.” Belle pulled away and gazed at Isaac. “You grew too! And your hair is getting longer.” 
Isaac shook his head and his loose brown curls framed his face. “Didn’t have the money to cut it.” 
“And he wouldn’t let me cut it,” Gideon piped up. “I did Kenny’s hair and it turned out fine.” 
Belle turned to Kenny and laughed as her youngest brother swept off his hat to reveal a closely cut haircut. She kissed the top of his head. “You poor soul! No wonder Isaac let his hair grow so long.” 
Kenny chuckled, “I sure was scared something fierce when Gideon whipped out his clippers. But I couldn’t stand havin’ my hair in my eyes.” 
Belle smiled at Kenny. “Well, hair always grows back. It’ll be back soon.” 
The crowd moved on towards the refreshment tables to eat some food. Belle pulled Albert back.  
“Albert…” 
Albert waved Judy on. “What’s wrong?” 
“Well, I found this…after you and the boys left. I forgot to give it to you when I saw you a month ago.” Belle quickly pressed a yellowed envelope into Albert’s hand.  
Albert glanced at the writing. “It’s Ma’s handwriting.” 
“Yes; I found a letter for you and me in her room.” 
Albert pocketed the letter. “Thanks, Belle. I’ll read it tonight.” 
“Wait,” Belle said.  
“Yes?” 
“What are you going to do with the boys? You and Judy are engaged and I’m sure you’ll be looking for a house to live in and a job. What will the boys do?” 
Albert sighed, “Yeah…I’ve been thinking on that. Judy and I are planning on heading back to Mapletown. It’s a growing town with plenty of opportunities. Plus, Mr. Potts offered me my job back at his ranch. I can earn some cash there.” 
“Alright; but what about the boys?” 
“Well, Gideon has been working at the ranch, but Isaac and Kenny are young…they need educating…I can’t give ‘em any. I don’t even have enough to give Isaac a haircut! I don’t know what I’m gonna do with the boys.” 
“Albert, what if we asked Lillian and Paul to watch over the boys?” 
“I don’t wanna do that.” 
“But with me leaving and Hannah and Jinger gone, they have room. I’m sure Paul is dying to have more boys around. They could send them to school as well!” 
Albert shrugged, “I reckon it’s my only choice.” 
“It is a good choice, believe me!” 
“Alright. You do the asking though.”
“Deal.” 
“Belle!” Caleb rushed over and took Belle’s hand. “C’mon, I’ve been looking for you. We have food to eat and people to greet!” Caleb dragged Belle away towards a table of people eager to congratulate the newlyweds.  

~~~ 
Danielle placed the last pie on the table and began cutting it into slices.  
“Excuse me, ma’am,” a voice called. 
Danielle turned around a saw a young man walking towards her. “Yes?” 
The man had wavy black hair half hidden by his hat. He had soft brown eyes and a smile formed on his lips. “My parents and I just moved in from Philadelphia. We bought a piece of land back there,” he began pointing a finger behind him. “I heard all the noise down here and came on down to see what was going on.” The man looked around at all the people. “Sure is some party you have going on.” 

Danielle smiled, “My sister just got married.” 
“Well that’s nice. Glad for her.” 
“Thanks.” 
“Well I better get back home,” the man began turning around. 
“Oh wait,” Danielle said quickly. “Here take this.” Danielle grabbed a napkin and wrapped a slice of pie in it. 
The man gratefully accepted, “Well thanks, miss…” 
“Danielle. Danielle Hansen—er O’Neal. My adoptive name is Danielle O’Neal.” 
The man stuck out his hand, “Nice to meet you Miss O’Neal. I’m Eric Butler.” 
Danielle shook his hand.  
“Danielle,” a voice called. 
Danielle turned around and saw Lillian walking towards her. “Yes, Ma?” 
“Oh, sorry, dear, I didn’t mean to interrupt,” Lillian said as she noticed Eric. 
“This is Eric Butler. His family bought some land around here,” Danielle introduced. 
“Hello, Mrs. O’Neal,” Eric said tipping his hat. “I should probably go now.” Eric turned to leave. 
“Eric, why don’t you stay? There’s plenty of food and it would be a good time for us to get acquainted with you,” Lillian invited. 
“I don’t want to impose.” 
“You wouldn’t be imposing. Go ahead and bring your parents with you.” 
Eric grinned, “Well thanks…I guess I’ll go do that.” He turned around and hiked back up into the trees. 
“He seems nice,” Lillian said to Danielle.
“Mhm,” Danielle murmured. She turned back and finished cutting the pie. 
Lillian sent a quizzical glance at Danielle. “Hand me a piece of the apple pie for your Pa.” 
Danielle placed a large piece of apple pie on the plate for Paul. “Here,” she said. 
Lillian took the pie and walked back to Paul. “Here you go, Paul,” she handed him the plate. “Oh, a new family moved in close by and I just invited the family to join us for the remainder of the party.” 
“That’s fine. Where are they?” Paul ate a piece of his pie and looked around. 
“The young man went to fetch his parents.” 
“Let me know when they come back.” 
~~~ 
Jonathan Carter whipped out his accordion and began trilling out some dancing music. Belle and Caleb started off the dancing while other couples followed. Paul and Lillian hurried out with Joe and Cassandra right behind. Danielle stood back to watch the dancing.  
“Alright, just in time for the dancing!” 
Danielle turned around and saw Eric Butler and his parents walking towards her. Eric had dressed up in a white shirt and bowtie and his father was dressed the same way. Mr. Butler had light hair but the same brown eyes as his son. Mrs. Butler was dressed in a nice green dress. She had hair like her son. 
“This is Danielle,” Eric introduced quickly. “Danielle, this is my Pa and my Ma, Mitchell and Helen Butler.” 
“Hi, miss,” Mr. Butler nodded. 
“Hello,” Danielle returned. 
“Do you like dancing?” Eric asked Danielle. 
“Yes; but I don’t have a partner today.” 
“Would you mind dancing with me?” Eric asked politely.  
“Well, uh…no, not at all.” 
Eric took Danielle’s hand and led her to the dancing floor. Within seconds, the two were gliding around the floor.  
“Do you dance often?” Danielle asked. 
“Yes I do,” Eric replied. 
“I can tell.” 
Eric and Danielle whirled around the dance floor a few more laps. They walked off with Paul and Lillian so Danielle could introduce her parents to the Butlers.  
“Nice to meet you,” Paul boomed as he eagerly shook Mr. Butler’s hand. 
“Good to meet you too,” Mitchell Butler returned. 
“How many children do you have?” Helen Butler asked Lillian. 
“One,” Lillian responded. “Well, one birth child,” Lillian clarified. “We adopted nine girls. Oakley is our only son. We adopted Cassandra, Danielle, Elsie, Faith, Lynn, Megan, and Nadia.” 
“That’s only seven,” Eric pointed out. 
“Yes well, Hannah and Jinger died this past winter,” Paul said quietly. 
“Oh! How terrible,” Helen murmured. 
Belle walked over and beckoned to Lillian. “Can I speak with you a moment?” 
“Of course, dear,” Lillian left the Butlers and followed Belle. 
Belle walked a few yards away from all the commotion. She looked down at her feet and then back to Lillian. “I have a favor to ask.” 
“Ask away,” Lillian said kindly. 
“Isaac and Kenny have nowhere to go. Albert and Gideon have steady jobs in Mapletown but Albert can’t care for all of them. Plus, Isaac and Kenny don’t have any schooling. They know some figuring and reading but not very well. Since I’m leaving, could you please consider watching Isaac and Kenny for a while? I don’t know how long…maybe a few months, a year, two years…but we’d be so grateful and—” 
“Say no more,” Lillian interrupted, taking Belle’s hand. 
“You’ll do it?” 
“Sure we will. Paul will love having boys around. Plus, any brothers of yours are sons of ours as well. We’d love to have them.” 
Belle hugged Lillian. “Thank-you! That means a lot to Albert and me.” 
Lillian laughed and hugged Belle back. “Now get back to your party. Only an hour left until dusk.” 
Belle grinned and hurried back to the swarms of people.
  
~~~ 
Sunset came and Belle and Caleb busily loaded their bags into the wagon. The wedding was officially over and the newlyweds were about to leave for their new home. Caleb and Albert had worked out a deal and Caleb was now the proud owner of the old Hansen farm.
“I still can’t you are going back to the old farm,” Danielle said as she hugged Caleb. “That was the best surprise you could’ve given Belle.”
Caleb grinned, “She was awful surprised when I told her.”
Belle grinned back at her husband. “I’m excited to see how the place looks.”
“I don’t want you to go,” Nadia said as she hugged Belle goodbye. 
Belle kissed the little girl, “I’ll miss you, sweetheart but I love Caleb and I want to be his wife. You can come visit often.” 
Nadia kissed Belle on the cheek and hurried back to Paul. 
“Bye, Belle,” Lynn and Megan echoed each other. 
“Goodbye girls,” Belle said hugging them. 
“Have a safe trip,” Faith and Elsie said as they hugged their sister. 
“I’m sure we will,” Belle said thinking about the long ride ahead of her. It would be about a four hour trip there. 
“Bye Belle,” Isaac and Kenny said.  
“Goodbye, boys.” 
“See ya, Belle,” Danielle embraced her sister. 
“See you, Danielle.” 
“Farewell, Belle,” Cassandra said. 
“Goodbye, Cassandra.” 
“So long, Belle,” Paul and Lillian said to Belle. 
“Bye!” Belle hugged Paul and turned to Lillian. “Take care of my brothers and sisters,” she whispered. 
“I will; I promise,” Lillian whispered back. 
Caleb helped Belle into the awaiting wagon. Belle climbed up and sat down on the seat. She lifted her hand and waved goodbye. Caleb slapped the reins against the pair of pinto horses and they started down the path toward the Hansen—now Caleb Carter—farm. Cassandra and Danielle watched their sister and new brother-in-law disappear into the sunset. It was hard to watch their oldest sister leave them. All their lives, Belle was always there watching over them.  
Nadia was softly crying into Paul’s shoulder. Belle had been with Nadia ever since she was a baby. Nadia loved Belle more than anyone and she was afraid for Belle to leave.  
“Come children, we need to get home and get some rest,” Lillian called gently. 

The siblings reluctantly followed Paul and Lillian to the O’Neal wagon and began their drive home. 

2 comments: