Tuesday, November 1, 2016

The O'Neal Girls Chapter 27

Hey guys :)

Is it really November?! Seventeen days until I get to see my family again!!!!

This chapter signifies the end of the new stuff I had written and takes us back to what I already had written. It's long because rather than renumber all the chapters, I combined two chapters into one big one #I'mLazy

In this chapter:
Albert attempts to reconcile and Lillian talks about her past and some other stuff :P

Chapter 27


Albert and Danni went to town that evening. Danielle carried with her a list of things Lillian needed and Albert carried his saddle and revolver. The two entered Mr. Trombley’s general store and Albert slapped the revolver down on the countertop.
            “How much would you give me for this?” he inquired.
            Mr. Trombley looked over the weapon. “I’d give you fifteen dollars.”
            Albert shifted and fingered his mustache. “Okay. Sold.”
            Mr. Trombley pulled out his cash box and counted out the specified amount of money.
            “Thank you, sir. Danni, I’m going to the livery to see what I can get for this saddle. You get Mrs. O’Neal’s things; I’ll meet you back here when I’m done.”
            Albert returned a number of minutes later—hands empty, but pockets full. He and Danni carried Lillian’s things out to the buggy and Albert started the horse out of town.
            “Are you gonna see the Carters tomorrow?” Danielle asked.
            “Yeah.”
            Danielle bit her lip. She was nervous for Albert. “What are you going to do?”
            “I don’t know,” Albert shrugged. “Apologize…give them the money…we’ll see what happens.” 
~~~
            True to his word, Albert rode out bright and early the next morning. He planned to stop by the Hansen farm property first before he headed out to see the Carters. He wanted to see what had become of the property since no one had lived there in a nearly a year. He reached his home just before lunch time. The place was overgrown and the barn and house definitely looked worse for the wear.
            Albert entered the house and looked around. Many of their things were missing; things the girls no doubt took with them to the O’Neals. However, many things were left behind. They weren’t necessarily of value, yet they held many memories for Albert. He took the time to look for any other useful items the girls might have overlooked.
            Finding nothing, he checked the barn and found nothing but moldy hay. He sighed and ran his hand down the old wooden poles. He had spent many days inside this barn with his Papa and brothers.
            “Time to say goodbye, for good,” Albert said. He left the barn and mounted his horse, spurring the steed towards the Carter farm.
            He reached there a few minutes later. He saw a man standing outside the barn and he called out to him.
            “This the Carter farm?”
            “Yes.” The man wiped his hands on his pants. “Can I help you?”
            “My name is Albert Hansen…I’m the one responsible for your son’s death.” Albert swallowed hard. He hadn’t intended to be so bold.
            Jonathan Carter’s face fell at Albert’s words. Then it quickly hardened to a steely gaze. His jaw set and he folded his arms. “What are you doing here?”
            “I need to make this right.” Albert dug out the $30 he had earned by selling his revolver and saddle. “I know this doesn’t make anything right…but I want you to have this.”
            Mr. Carter hesitantly took the money and glanced at it.
            “I’m so sorry, sir. I know you have no reason to listen to me, but I honestly didn’t intend to kill him. I never intended for it to go as far as it did…”
            “Well, I—”
            “Please, I’m not here because I want you to not press charges. I want you to. I messed up and I need to make things right or I’ll never be able to live with myself. I want a fresh start and I’m prepared to do what it takes to get that.”
            Caleb stepped out of the barn. “How do we know you’re being honest?” Caleb had clearly been listening in on the conversation and just now made his presence known.
            “I could be hanged for this,” Albert stated plainly. “I’m serious.”
            Caleb tipped his hat back. “If we press charges, you’ll pay the price—whatever it is?”
            Albert swallowed and slowly nodded. “I’ll do whatever it takes for you to forgive me enough to marry Belle. She’s devastated that you and her broke up. I know she has stuff to work out, but she loves you, Caleb. She does.”
            Jonathan leaned back against the corral fence. “Paul said you aimed at him and Davy jumped in front of him. Why were you trying to shoot Paul?”
            “I didn’t come here with the intent to shoot anyone,” Albert persisted. “I didn’t realize how crazy Charles Wiggins was until it was too late. I saw Paul and Davy coming after us and I got scared so I pulled the trigger…I didn’t mean to kill him.” Albert looked away as he heard hoofbeats coming up the road.
            Paul and Sheriff Dawson came around the corner, their horses frothing at the mouth from their vigorous speed.
            “He didn’t shoot Davy!” Paul shouted, yanking his horse to a stop.
            “What?” the group inquired.
            Sheriff Dawson strode over. “Coroner just examined the bullet he found in Davy and it doesn’t match Albert’s gun—it matches Evans’s gun.”
            “But I did shoot at him,” Albert said doubtfully.
            “You must be a poor shot, son. There’s no way your shot killed Davy.”
            “Well,” Jonathan sighed. “I’m glad it wasn’t you, Albert. I didn’t want this to ruin Caleb and Belle’s relationship, but it still doesn’t make things better.” The grief was etched deep in Jonathan’s face.
            “Of course,” Paul said kindly, clapping his friend on the back.
            Caleb looked over at Albert. “I guess I owe you an apology.”
            Albert shook his head. “I owe you one too. Let’s just call a truce and start over.” Albert extended his hand to Caleb.
            Caleb hesitated before reaching forward and grasping Albert’s hand.
            “I’m Albert—Belle’s brother,” Albert said.
            Caleb grinned, “I’m Caleb Carter…hopefully Belle’s fiancée.”

            The next day, Caleb finished his chores and came to see Belle. As soon as his pinto entered the yard, Belle flew out of the house. Words came tumbling out of her mouth.
            “We aren’t going to Mapletown! I really love you Caleb and I want to marry you. I want to start my own family with you. I’ll always love my siblings, but I promise you’ll come first. It might take some time but I promise to change. I want to spend the rest of my life with you!” Tears were forming in the corners of Belle’s eyes.
            Ever so tenderly, Caleb cupped Belle’s face in his one hand and brushed away her tears with the other. “I believe you, Belle. I want to marry you. I love you.” Caleb gathered Belle into his arms and hugged her tightly.
            Belle melted into his embrace, crying silent tears of joy. Caleb fished in his pocket and produced the ring he had taken back from Belle. He took her small hand and slipped the ring on her finger.
            “There. Right where it belongs.”

~~~ 
​            That afternoon, Albert announced he needed to return to Mapletown to see how the boys were doing. Although the girls were sad to see him go, they were eager to learn how their brothers were.
            “I’ll bring ‘em back for a visit sometime,” Albert promised. “And I’ll give them your love.”
            “Will you be back for our wedding?” Belle asked from where she was held safely in Caleb’s arms.
            Albert swung up onto his horse. “I can’t make any promises, but we’ll try.” He lifted his hat in a wave. “Bye girls! Caleb, take care of Belle. Mr. O’Neal, Mrs. O’Neal, thanks for taking in my sisters.”
            “Bye, Albert!” the girls chorused as their brother trotted down the road. 
~~~ 
Early the next morning the O’Neal family was busy with chores. Lillian, Belle, and Cassandra were getting breakfast ready, Nadia was setting the table, Paul, Elsie, Faith, and Megan were tending to the animals, and Danielle was helping Lynn with last minute homework. 
Suddenly Megan burst through the door. “The barn cat had her kittens!” she exclaimed. “She had four beautiful babies!” 
Nadia looked up with a smile. “My kitten!” she cried. She had not forgotten Lillian’s promise.  
Lillian smiled at Nadia, “Go ahead. You can go look at the kittens.” 
Nadia rushed out of the door to go look at the kittens. Lynn and Danielle hurried out behind her. Megan led the three up into the hay loft. Hidden in the soft hay was the mother cat. She was surrounded by four squirming little kittens. Elsie and Faith were sitting beside the mother cat. They motioned the others to quietly come closer. Nadia held her breath and crept forward. She watched the kittens closely. 
“Which one do you want?” Danielle asked softly. 
“I don’t know yet,” Nadia whispered. “They’re so tiny!” 
“And cute!” Faith grinned. 
The four cats were all different colors. One had a black and white coat, another was orange and white, one had a calico coat, and the last was gray and white. 
Nadia reached out to touch the kittens. Elsie grabbed Nadia’s hand.  
“Wait! Don’t touch them just yet,” Elsie warned. “Mama Cat might be upset. Wait until they are a little older.” 
Nadia reluctantly drew her hand back and contented herself by watching.  
“Pa said we have to give away all the kittens except Nadia’s,” Lynn said. “I wish we could keep them all.” 
“Yeah, they are so fun to watch grow up,” Elsie said. “But we can’t keep them all.” 
“I want that really tiny one to be mine,” Nadia spoke up. 
“The gray one?” Megan asked. 

(this is actually a kitty my family uses to have. Sugar =D)

“Uh huh,” Nadia nodded. “Is it a girl or a boy?” 
“That one is a girl,” Paul clarified. 
“What are you going to name her?” Faith inquired. 
Nadia shrugged. “I’ll have to think about that.” 
A few minutes later, Paul called to the girls and told them it was time for breakfast. The girls climbed down from the hay loft and headed inside. 

~~~ 
Danielle came galloping onto the O'Neal's land on a Tuesday afternoon a few weeks later. She was pushing Strawberry to the limits as she came shouting in.  
“Ma! Pa! Look!!” Danielle saw Paul and Lillian working in the garden together. She took a daring leap off the galloping horse and dropped down near her parents. She landed in a heap on the ground. Danielle jumped up quickly and brushed the dust off her dress. Strawberry slowed to a stop in front of the barn and took a drink out of the water trough.  

Danielle looked at her parents with excitement. “Look what I–”  
“Danielle! What have I told you about dismounting like that?” Lillian's hands were on her hips as she sent an upset look at Danielle.  
Danielle sighed, “You told me not to dismount like that.” 
“Then why are you still doing it?! You already put three holes in that dress this month!” 
Danielle ignored Lillian, “Just look!” Danielle pulled a long white envelope out of her pocket. “A letter from Albert!”  
Danielle's disobedience was forgotten as the three rushed into the house to tell Cassandra and Belle.  
“A letter came from Albert!” Danielle shouted as they entered the cabin.  
Cassandra and Belle walked over excitedly. “Who will read it?” Belle asked. 
“You read it, Ma,” Cassandra said. “You read everything so nicely.”  
Lillian blushed at the unexpected compliment. “Are you sure?” she looked at Belle for permission. Belle nodded her head so Lillian opened the letter. “ ‘To my dearest sisters’,” she began in her melodious voice. “ ‘All is well with me. I arrived in Mapletown and visited the Tyes. Isaac and Kenny are doing well and I was glad to see them. I saw Gideon a few days later and he has proved to be a strong hand out at the ranch. The boys are excited to hear about you, but are grieving for Hannah and Jinger. I’m trying to repair everything with my brothers and friends and it may take some time. But as soon as possible, I hope to get back to you. We miss you all and we pray that we will be reunited again. Your brother, Albert’.”  
Belle smiled and brushed away some stray tears. “I miss the little boys so much.”  
“We’ll see them soon,” Cassandra encouraged. “Albert will bring them to us as soon as possible.”
~~~ 
            Caleb dropped by the cabin later that day. He wanted to be with Belle and hear some of the wedding preparations. Belle, Cassandra, Danielle, and Lillian were sitting at the table together chattering about the wedding. Caleb watched them with spinning heads.  
“And we should have lots of flowers,” Cassandra suggested.  
“Oh yes! Flowers are always great,” Lillian added.  
“I do love flowers. Speaking of flowers, what should I have in my bouquet?” Belle looked around.  
“Pasque flower.”  
Everyone turned and looked at Danielle in surprise. She had been quiet most of the afternoon and now she suddenly spoke out with an opinion.  
“What?” Cassandra said.  
“You know, Prairie Crocus,” Danielle replied. “Mama's favorite flower.”  
Belle nodded slowly. “Mama always loved those big purple ones that grew by the barn.”  
“We'll make sure you have them then,” Caleb told his fiancée.  


Belle smiled gratefully at him when Nadia burst into the house carrying her kitten. She ran up to Caleb and held up the kitten. 
“This is my kitten, Alice!” 
Caleb stared at the kitten in surprise then forced a grin. “Why hello, Miss Alice. What are you doing in the house?” 
“She likes the house!” Nadia said proudly.  
“Nadia, you know that Alice isn’t allowed in the house,” Belle said. 
“But she likes to be in the house.” 
“But Paul said that you must keep Alice outside,” Belle persisted. 
Nadia looked over at Lillian. “Ma?” 
“You better take Alice outside. Remember she needs to spend time in the barn so she can catch mice.” Lillian spoke kindly but firmly. “You need to take her outside.” 
Nadia cuddled Alice and slowly walked outside.  
Caleb leaned back in his chair, “Weddings sure require a lot of work.” 
“Yes they do,” Belle agreed. “Let’s take a break.”  
Caleb smiled at Belle. “I’d like that.” 
“We have some work to do outside,” Lillian said suddenly. She stood up and took Cassandra by the arm and did the same with Danielle.  She led her daughters out the back door.  
“But I was still writing down things for the wedding!” Cassandra exclaimed once they were outside. 
“Those two could use some time alone,” Lillian replied. 
“Oh...” Cassandra murmured.  
“I’m glad; I was getting tired of all that wedding talk. So what are we going to do?” Danielle asked Lillian. 
“We can pick the rest of the apples off the tree.” Lillian led the way to the apple tree that grew by the barn. She found a bucket in the barn and plucked a bright red apple from the tree branch.   
            Danielle ran to the base of the tree and scrambled up the trunk.
            “Danielle!” Cassandra shouted after her. “That is not lady-like at all!”
            “Who said I was a lady to begin with?” Danielle shouted back.
            “Oooh! Danielle! You’re never going to get married! You’re going to be an old maid and stuck living here all your life!”
            Lillian sighed and placed another apple in the bucket. Couldn’t she just have one day without Cassandra and Danielle bickering?
            “Well, I happen to like this place!” Danielle called. “Ma will need help around the house anyways.”
            Cassandra rolled her eyes, “You’re more of a chore than a help!”
            Danielle replied by throwing a rotten apple Cassandra’s way. The apple conked Cassandra on the shoulder, prompting a scream of anger from Cassandra.
            “Danielle Hansen! I’m coming up there and you’re going to regret it!” Cassandra walked to the tree trunk and seized a branch.
            “Now that wouldn’t be very lady-like would it?” Danielle’s taunting voice floated down from the tree.
A giggle escaped from Lillian as she quickly pressed a hand over her mouth.
Cassandra tossed her hands in the air and glared up at Danielle. “I’ll make you regret it somehow!”
Lillian came up behind Cassandra and put her arm around the young woman’s shoulders. “Alright, let’s calm down.” She looked up at Danielle, “Come down here, young lady.”
“Young lady?” Danielle called down.
“Danielle. Now.” There was no joking tone in Lillian’s voice.
Danielle jumped down from the tree and landed in front of Lillian and Cassandra.
“Apologize for hitting your sister.”
Danielle mumbled a quick apology and Cassandra thanked her.
It never surprised Lillian how sometimes Cassandra and Danielle had more childish fights than the little girls. “Now,” Lillian said, “let’s pick some apples so we can have apple pie after supper.”
            Caleb and Belle walked past the threesome under the apple tree. Their arms were linked together as they began walking toward the woods. 
“We'll be back by dinner,” Belle called over her shoulder. 
“Have a good time,” Lillian said, waving.  
By the time the apples were picked from the tree, the younger girls got home from school. Lillian and Cassandra left to make supper while the twins and Paul fed the animals. Danielle followed Lynn, Megan, and Nadia inside to help them with their homework.  

~~~ 
The following afternoon, Cassandra and Danielle were finishing the housework, Lillian just put Oakley down for a nap, Paul was delivering a load of wood, and the girls were at school. Lillian noticed Belle was nowhere to be found. She walked outside and looked around. She saw the barn door slightly ajar. She walked into the barn and found Belle sitting in the hayloft with the barn kittens. Belle was absently staring at something in her hands 
“How's the bride-to-be?” Lillian asked, mounting the ladder.  
Belle looked up in surprise. “Oh...fine.” Belle hid her hands behind her back. 
Lillian sent a questioning look at Belle. “You don’t seem fine. Most brides don't spend their time with barn kittens...unless they have other things on their minds.”  
Belle sighed. “I guess I'm just nervous...and sad.”  
“Sad?”  
“I miss Mama…we were so close.” Belle pulled her hands out from behind her back and showed Lillian what she was hiding. It was a picture of her mother and father.  
“May I see?” Lillian asked gently. 
Belle nodded and extended her hand toward Lillian. Lillian took the picture and examined the picture. She saw a man with bushy hair and a thick mustache standing beside a woman who looked exactly like Belle. 

      
















“You look just like you mother,” Lillian whispered softly. 
Alice had her hair in ringlets around her neck and even though the picture was black and white, Lillian could tell Alice had the same rich, flaxen blonde hair that Belle had. Lillian was thrilled that Belle had allowed her a glimpse into what the girls’ past was like. Lillian felt that Belle had just opened a big door to her life. 
“Mama and I used to talk about my wedding a lot,” Belle continued. “We made all sorts of plans. But...Mama and Papa won't be there...or Hannah and Jinger...or the boys. How can I go forward knowing they won't be there?”  
Lillian smiled emphatically at Belle, “I know how you feel. My father and step-mother didn't agree with my choice of husband. They refused to come to my wedding.”  
“Why didn’t they like Paul?” 
“It’s a long story.” 
“We can go for a walk,” Belle stood up, suddenly eager to hear about Lillian’s past. Lillian and Belle exited the barn and headed for the beautiful Black Hills.  
“Paul and I first met when I was fifteen and Paul was eighteen. My father had hired Paul to work for him. Daddy owned a gold mine and he needed miners to mine it for him. We met at church that Sunday.” 
“Was it love at first sight?” Belle asked eagerly. 
Lillian laughed, “Well, he was handsome, that’s for sure. I cast my eye on him more than once, but I was only fifteen at the time. When Paul was nineteen, I found out he hated the mining work. We helped him save up his money and I know we all slipped some of our own funds into the envelope I kept for him. The year following, he began courting me. He promised once he made enough money, he would stop working for my father, get a new job, and build a house for us. Nine months after that, he quit working for my father and headed for the woods. He built the cabin—back then it was only one room—and began working with two other men to supply the lumber mill. Just a few months following that, Paul asked my father if he could marry me. Daddy turned him down.” A dark look crossed Lillian’s face. “I still remember that day as if it were yesterday.” 
            “Are you still mad at your father?” 
Lillian shook her head. “I was…for many years. But he eventually apologized and I learned to forgive him. 
“Against Daddy’s decision, I planned for my wedding. Paul and I started saving money and Lila and I made a wedding dress while Paul and his friend Judd added on to the cabin. Three weeks before the wedding, Daddy found out. He didn’t stop us but he refused to have any relationship with me once I was married. My step-mother was the same way. I was so upset; I almost called off the wedding. But I didn’t and we married three weeks later.” 
            “I’m glad everything worked out,” Belle said. “But who walked you down the aisle?” 
“My brother, Benjamin.”  
“You had a brother?” Belle asked with interest.  
“Yes,” Lillian turned to Belle and smiled. “Ben was such a wonderful brother.”  
“Whatever happened to him?”  
“Ben was the oldest, then Lila, then me. Ben looked just like Daddy. He had dark hair, tall, muscular build, he even had Daddy's mustache. But he really was nothing like Daddy. He had Mama's spirit. He was meek, quiet, gentle, caring...he always thought of others first. He was a fine man. He never married, although he almost always had a girl beneath one of his arms.” Lillian smiled at the fond memories. She and Belle walked along a creek bank under the quaking aspens. 
“When Daddy and my step-mother wouldn't come to the wedding, I asked Ben to walk me down the aisle. He accepted right away and did it with great respect. After Paul and I were married three years, I received a telegram that Ben was killed in a stagecoach accident. I don't know the details, but it seems the stagecoach broke away from the horses. Ben was helping a young woman and her husband out of the stagecoach and he didn't have time to save himself.”  
Belle looked down at the ground. “That's awful!”  
Lillian nodded, “It was. But Ben is in heaven now and I know he is having a much better time up there than down here.”  
Belle glanced up at Lillian, “I admire the peace you have of knowing that.” 
“It took time but I learned to trust the Lord for all things. God is always looking out for us even when bad things happen.” 
Belle stared off into the woods. “You’re right…God always was watching over my family. I was angry that He took Mama and Papa away. And I was angry that He provided you and Paul as a substitute…I didn’t realize at the time that His way was better than my way."
"God often has to use trials to chasten us and show us the truth. We are a stubborn people and it takes time for us to realize our faults.” Lillian placed her arm around Belle. “Just focus on doing what’s right and honoring the Lord. Everything else will fall into place.” 

“Thanks,” Belle smiled. 

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed learning more about Lillian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D I thought it would be fun to dive into Lillian's past

      Delete