Monday, January 25, 2016

The O'Neal Girls Chapter 13

Well, the votes are in! (Wow, I feel so important saying that hahaha) And The O'Neal Girls win it with six votes! Three votes went to Anne Kenneth (Don't worry, I'll probably post her story later on!) and one vote went for the BBC Mystery!

I'm glad you like reading the O'Neal Girls stories; they're my favorite too :D

If you are new to the blog, I suggest reading the Hansen Girls posts first. You can click HERE to start reading the prologue.

If you have finished the Hansen Girls and would like to read the beginning of The O'Neal Girls, click HERE

If you need a refresher on what happened in the last chapter of the O'Neal Girls, click HERE to read chapter 12

Chapter 13


The following day, everyone was extremely solemn. Belle was taking Hannah and Jinger’s death the hardest. She refused to utter a word or even look at anyone. She ate her breakfast in silence and left as soon as she was finished. Lillian and Paul were quiet as well but they tried to be open with the girls in case they wanted to talk. The other girls didn’t make a sound, noticing how upset everyone was. They were still grieving themselves and it would take time for them to open up. ​ 
After breakfast, Paul had trees to deliver into Fairburn and Cassandra and Belle were tagging along to pick up supplies. The twins took Lynn, Megan, and Nadia on a ride through the hills. Lillian wanted to keep the children as busy as possible so they wouldn’t think about Hannah or Jinger too much. Danielle stayed behind with Lillian for most of the morning to help with chores and housework. 
“About last night,” Danielle said as she wiped the mop across the floor.
Lillian looked over at Danielle. “Don’t worry about last night,” she said. “I realize you were upset and tired. I’ll pretend it never happened.”
Danielle looked at Lillian in surprise. “No…I uh…that’s not what I meant to say.”
“What did you mean to say?”
“I wanted to say thank-you for last night. I feel like a door opened between us and I was…um…wondering if I could ask you something.”
Lillian eyed Danielle curiously, “What?”
“I was wondering if you could stop being my friend and be my mother now?”
“You want me to be a mother to you now?”
“Yes. I finally realized that no matter how old a person gets, they always need their parents. I hope you and Paul can be my parents now.”
Lillian smiled, “Are you sure?”
“Yes I’m sure!” Danielle exclaimed. “Stop trying to talk me out of it.” Danielle grinned shyly. “I didn’t realize how much I missed my Mama and Papa until I needed them last night. You and Paul stepped in and I really appreciate that.” Danielle’s eyes wandered around the room. “You know, now I’m realizing all the little things I miss about Mama. How she could cook for us, read us stories, go for picnics with us and…” Danielle trailed off. 
“And what?” Lillian asked quietly. 
“Nothing. It’s silly.” 
“No, I’m sure it isn’t.” Lillian stepped closer to Danielle, eager to hear Danielle open up about her mother.
“And…just hug me,” Danielle finished. “Or kiss me goodnight…I miss so much about Mama, but sometimes it’s the little things you miss the most.”
Lillian searched Danielle’s eyes, “I’m sorry…I’d give anything for your Mama to be with you now.” 
“No, that’s alright…I’m glad you’re my new mother now. Mama would be proud to know you’re my new Ma.” 
Lillian looked away as her eyes misted over. She didn’t say anything; she was too choked up to speak. 
“Lillian?” Danielle said. 
Lillian brushed away a tear. “I’m sorry…that just means a lot to hear you say that.” 
Danielle closed the distance between them and hugged Lillian. “All of us girls want you to be our mother now, and you’re the best adopted mother we could ever ask for. You always try your hardest to be the best you can be and you’ve succeeded. We all had a hard time a couple years ago but once we came here, you and Paul were right there to help us when we needed help or to comfort us when we needed comforting.” 
Lillian hugged Danielle back, “Paul and I always wanted a lot of children and we thought that it wasn’t going to work out. But then we adopted you girls and we wanted to be parents to you but we didn’t want to overstep our boundaries.” 
“I don’t think you can overstep any boundaries anymore. We’ve all accepted you as our parents now.”   
“I don’t know,” Lillian cautioned. “I’m much younger than your Mama was.” 
“You are,” Danielle agreed, “but age doesn’t matter. You’ve proven to be a good friend and mother and we need you take her place. We need a substitute. Just like when Paul chops down trees. If he takes one, he replaces it with a sapling. God took Mama and Papa from us but He provided you and Paul to be the substitute.”  
Lillian cocked her head, “I never thought of it that way…” 
“The little ones need you. They don’t remember Mama; they need you to raise them. And…I need you too.” 
Lillian thought on the seriousness of her role in the girls’ lives. She knew they needed help and love but she had never realized the severity. Danielle had just shown her the severity by opening her heart and showing how much she missed the little things about Alice. 
How could you not realize that? Lillian chided herself. You were in their shoes once. Did you forget those lonely nights without your mother?  
Lillian took Danielle’s hands. “There is nothing more I’d love to do than to be your mother.”
“Could I call you, ‘Ma’, then?”
“I would like that very much.”
Danielle grinned but her grin suddenly faded. “What will Belle say?” Danielle asked.
Lillian looked at Danielle, “What do you mean?”
“Belle will be upset when she hears me calling you ‘Ma’. She’ll think I’ve forgotten Mama and she’ll be mad at me.”
“You let me worry about Belle. I’ll talk to her tonight.”
Approaching hoofbeats interrupted Danielle and Lillian. Danielle went to the window and pulled back the curtain.  
​“Lillian—er, Ma,—” Danielle grinned, “A man and a woman are riding up towards the house.” 
​Lillian smiled upon hearing Danielle refer to her as “Ma”. It was amazing how much that word warmed her heart.
She joined Danielle at the window. “Strangers,” she murmured. “Why don’t you go catch up with the others? I’ll entertain the guests.” 
​Danielle slipped out the back door and continued to the barn. Lillian brewed some coffee and went out to greet the strangers. 
​“Hello,” she called out cordially as the two neared the house. 
​The two were riding a big bay mare. They stopped her by the house, dismounted, and tied the mare to a tree. 
​“Good morning,” the woman returned with a faint smile. 
The man followed behind the woman with a limp. He nodded politely then launched into introductions. “I’m Matthew Parson and this is Laura Trenson.” 
​“Nice to meet you. I’m Lillian O’Neal.” 
​“Do you have two daughters named Hannah and Jinger?” Matthew asked abruptly. 
​Lillian stiffened and her breath caught. How would they know Hannah and Jinger? “Yes I do…did…” Lillian slowly beckoned them inside. After sending them to the parlor, she brought them some coffee and spoke again. 
​“Hannah and Jinger died last evening.” 
​Laura’s hand flew over her open mouth and Matthew’s head descended into his hands. 
​“It’s our fault,” Laura said in a quivering tone. 
​“We killed ‘em,” Matthew added. 
​Lillian’s blue eyes searched the two stranger’s faces. “What’s going on?” 
​Matthew raised his head and turned his dull eyes up to Lillian’s frustrated face. He and Laura proceeded to explain how Hannah and Jinger had diligently helped them revive the sick people.  When everyone was on the road to recovery, Laura and Matthew sent them home. 
​“When did you send them home?” Lillian questioned. 
​“Two days ago in the afternoon,” Laura recalled. 
​“They must have gotten sick that evening,” Mathew sighed. “We came over to thank them again…” 
“The Doctor said they died of anthrax,” Lillian said. “Is that what your group was sick from?” 
Matthew scratched his head. “Anthrax! How could we have been so foolish? Some of our cattle died and we, being so poor, just butchered ‘em up and ate ‘em. That’s why everyone was getting’ sick. We gave Hannah ‘n Jinger some of that meat…ma’am, we had no idea!” 
Lillian bit her lip and ducked her head. “I’m sure you didn’t…” She pressed her hand over her mouth to suppress a sob. “I think you better go now.” 
Laura stood up. “We are so sorry.” 
Lillian just nodded her head. 
Matthew and Laura left the house and returned to their homestead. 
~~~ 
 Two hours after lunch time, Belle and Paul arrived home. Cassandra had stayed in town with Joe and would be back later. Paul briefly unloaded the supplies and greeted his wife before he left to work on another order. Lillian and Belle were the only ones in the house once he left. Lillian took this opportunity to tell Belle about the visitors. 
​“Belle,” Lillian said, leading Belle into the parlor. 
​“Yes, Lillian?” Belle reluctantly followed. She would much rather go into her room and think in peace. Her feelings were all mixed up and jumbled together. She was angry and sad and confused and hurt. She did not want to talk to Lillian. 
​“I have rather disturbing news,” Lillian began. Lillian carefully told Belle what Laura and Matthew had told her. Belle remained stoical and expressionless for the most part but Lillian spotted the young woman’s lower jaw trembling and the blue eyes misting. 
​“Belle, I’m here for you. You don’t have to hide tears from me.” 
​Belle needed no more encouraging. She broke down and collapsed into tears.
Between anguished sobs, Belle managed to say a few things. “They were so young! And they died by doing a good deed! It is just so hard…no one understands!” 
​“I understand,” Lillian said gently. “I had a little girl once who died. That was the worst day of my life to see my little baby being buried. I understand the grief and anguish you are feeling.” 
​Belle looked up. “This is different though. They were my sisters!” 
​“Hannah and Jinger were my daughters,” Lillian reminded. “Don’t you think I was hurt too?” 
​Belle paused. “You’re not their real mother.” 
​Those words cut into Lillian like a knife. Her eyes clouded over for a moment.  “Belle, when I adopted the girls, I legally become their mother. And now I accept them as my children. I realize we are only eleven years apart and I’m too young to be a mother to you, but I want to be a friend who can help you in time of need. I would love to receive your trust and respect.” 
​Belle shook her head. “Alice Hansen is my mother. I can’t forget about her.” 
​“I’m not asking you to forget her.” 
“But I might! All her hard work may get thrown away…for nothing.” 
​“I want all of you girls to remember Alice and to cherish those memories but I want to step in and be there for the girls. I just want you girls to trust me and be able to open up with me when you have problems.” 
​Belle had no answer for that. She was beginning to realize she was just being selfish. She was holding on to the old times. She didn’t want to move on and start a new time in her life. 
​Lillian continued. “Belle, you’re putting so much pressure on yourself by trying to double as a mother.” 
​Belle took a deep breath. “It’s been so long since Mama died…I’ve been their mother ever since…” 
​“Now you can stop worrying about them and let me do that. You need to think about yourself a little. It’s been a long time since you saw Caleb.” 
​Belle blushed, “I do miss him…”
“Then let me be the girls’ mother. You and I can just be friends. Can we be friends?”
“I think we can be friends,” Belle nodded. 

​“You don’t know how long I’ve been waiting,” Lillian responded placing her hand on Belle’s. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lauren! I tagged you for the Wonderful Book Tag!! You can see the post here: http://fireflysstoryspace.blogspot.com/2016/01/the-wonderful-book-tag.html

    (And I'm going to get caught up on this story, promise. ;) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like fun! I'll try to do it when I find some time! Thanks for the tag :D

      Delete