Thursday, September 21, 2017

Thought Process

Hey everyone!

I've been trying to think of fun, silly posts I could do for you guys...here's what I came up with :P

I got to thinking the other day about brains. I concluded that a writer's brain definitely works and functions a lot differently than a regular brain. We writer's are constantly thinking up scenes, dialogue, and dramatic cliff hangers. It's just a normal thing for us. I took the time and really thought about how my brain functions and here's what I realized.

I talk to myself--a lot.

But seriously, I do talk to myself. Not necessarily out loud, but I run ideas through my head sometimes. Other times I'm working on a scene for one of my stories and I pretend to be one of my characters and create dialogue between that character and the others. Sometimes I'm imagining alternate scenarios to movies or books. 

I like to think that something like Inside Out happens in my head.


Except I think I just have two lil' people in my heads. I just named them today XD 

The first one is Lisa. She is the wise, calm, educated one. She helps me when I'm in class here at college. She's the one that reminds me to put on my coat when it's below freezing out here. She reminds me to eat fruit and vegetables more than I eat ice cream too :P

The second lil' person in my head is Beth. She is the bold, reckless, and fun one. Beth helps me out when I play sports. Beth is the one that tells me doing something stupid will be fun. She helps me come up with jokes and quips to tease my friends. 

Unfortunately, these two fight A LOT. For instance, I shall recount an experience I had last year....

[Set the Scene] In our dorm rooms, we have these chairs that work as a desk chair but also work like a rocking chair.
Roommate 1: "We should see who can tip back their chair the farthest without tipping over!"
Me: "Yeah!"
Lisa: "NO LAUREN."
Beth: "YEAH THIS WILL BE SO MUCH FUN."
Lisa: "No! You'll hurt yourself."
Beth: "Do it, do it, do it!"
Me: "Yeah! Let's do it!"

In the end, I tipped my chair back the farthest...and succeeded in falling and smacking my head against the side of the bed...yeah it hurt...BUT I WON. :P

Another example:
Lauren: "I'm just gonna go get one scoop of ice cream."
*gets to the ice cream bar*
Beth: "OH MAH WAWRD! Look at that! They have apple crisp! You should put that in the bottom of your bowl and dump vanilla ice cream on top!!"
Lisa: "Noooooo! You had a lot of ice cream yesterday; you need to pace yourself."
Beth: "But who knows how long they'll have apple crisp? If you don't get it now, it might be gone tomorrow!"
Lauren: "Well...I mean...I can eat healthy tomorrow..."
Lisa: "EVERYONE SAYS THAT! And they never mean it!"
Beth: "I want apple crisp and vanilla ice cream so baaaad! LOOK AT IT!"

I ate the apple crisp ice cream :P Lisa really tries to help me out, but Beth is a lot louder and pushier than Lisa so I usually listen to Beth more than Lisa.

So tell me, do you ever talk to yourself, out loud or just in your head? Do you think there are lil people in your head that encourage you to do different things like Lisa and Beth? ;) And would you like to see more of these posts?


2 comments:

  1. This was so much fun to read, Lauren!
    I just wanted to let you know that I tagged you on my blog for The Bookish Tag. If you're interested here's the link:http://rebekahashleigh.blogspot.com/2017/09/the-bookish-tag.html

    ReplyDelete