Thursday, January 19, 2017

O'Neal Christmas Story

As promised, I wanted to share this with you guys. This story was supposed to be part of Faith's 12 Days of Christmas Link up...but better late than never? I just wanted to give you a little insight to the gals lives with the O'Neals and I added in the two younger boys since the O'Neals took them in too :D

“What a meal!” Paul said, sinking into his easy chair. Nadia, Megan, and Kenny crowded around his chair. The girls sat on his knees and Kenny sat on the arm of the chair.
               “Now what?” Nadia asked.
               “What do you mean?” Paul returned.
               “We have to do something fun now,” Nadia replied. “We should do something fun every Christmas.”
               Lillian and Oakley snuggled together in her rocking chair, “We could start a tradition of sorts.”
               “How about a fun Christmas story, Pa?” Faith prodded.
               Paul chuckled, “I have plenty of stories, but I have another idea. My family used to do this each year when I was a boy. Let’s each go around and mention a gift or something special we received—whether it was for Christmas or not—and say why it was so special.”
               “Can I start?” Nadia spun around to look at Paul. At Paul’s nod, Nadia barreled into her story. “Last year was our first Christmas as a family....”


               Lillian and Paul shared a smile at the memory of the past Christmas.
               “Ma and Pa bought me a pair of brand new shoes! I never had my very own new pair of shoes before. That was my favorite gift ever!”
               Lynn sat up from between the twins, “I remember we had a stray puppy come to our house one day. Belle and Albert said we could keep her unless we found her owner. 
Taking care of Flower was the first chore I ever had ... back when I was excited for chores.”
               This evoked chuckles from the group.
               “Papa began a tradition of buying us boys our first pocket knife,” Isaac spoke up from the hearth. “Albert was eight when he got his first and so was Gideon. But by the time I was eight, Papa had passed away. I was really hoping for a pocket knife, but I wasn’t expecting one. But on the morning of my birthday, I woke up to find a brand-new pocket knife sitting on my nightstand.” 


               Isaac couldn’t help the smile that split his face. “Albert and Gideon had been doing odd jobs and had scrimped and saved up their money for months to buy me that knife from the trader shop. I was so surprised and excited. I’ll never forget that.”
               “I remember that,” Faith said. “Albert was so worried he wouldn’t get the money in time, but he worked hard and came up with just enough, just in time.”
               “Danielle has something to share,” Lillian announced
               Danielle, sitting at Lillian’s feet, looked up in surprise. “What?!”
               “I see you smiling down there,” Lillian replied with an arched eyebrow. “You thought of a memory.”
               Danielle sighed but complied. “Well ... when I was a kid, Mama had these hairbows that I was so jealous of. They were so bright and colorful. I always asked to wear them but Mama would just say ‘when you’re older, darling. When you’re older.’ I gave up after weeks of pestering, but on Christmas morning, I found one of the hairbows in my stocking! I was so excited that day. That hairbow meant so much to me.”
               Cassandra nudged Danielle with her foot, “You softy.”
               Danielle rolled her eyes, “Okay, since Ma volunteered me, it’s her turn to share what her favorite gift is.”
               “Well, when I was ten, my parents bought me a horse. He was black and white and a spirited beauty. I named him Prince and I loved him. My brother, sister, and I all would go riding together and I have some of my favorite memories from then.”



               “How long did you have him?” Elsie asked.
               “I had him until I married Paul. We needed work horses, not show horses. I sold Prince and we used that money to buy Midnight and Copper.”
               “What about you, Pa?” Nadia squirmed on Paul’s lap. “What was your favorite gift?”
               “Well, I’ve had many gifts of all shapes and sizes over the years. But last year’s gift was probably my favorite of all time,” Paul remarked.
               “I knew the axe was a good gift!” Danielle grinned.
               “No, not the axe. You girls.”
               The girls grew quiet, except Megan. “What do you mean, us?”
               “Lillian and I always wanted a big family. And it seemed that wasn’t God’s plan for us. It was hard for us accept. When Lillian was pregnant with Oakley, we were both excited, thrilled! But deep down inside, I knew Lillian wouldn’t be able to have another child. I knew that Oakley would be the only child we would have. I prayed and asked God to help me accept this. I was upset, but I didn’t want to seem ungrateful for Oakley.



“That next morning, I went into town and Mr. Trombley mentioned that the sheriff had been finding homes for these sisters and there was still one girl that he had.” Paul shook his head and laughed. “God just literally dropped you girls right in front of me. It was so perfectly planned out. If I had been in town earlier, all you girls would’ve been together, and to be perfectly honest, I wouldn’t have wanted to adopt all you girls at once. At that point, I wouldn’t have felt capable to take you all in. But God eased us into it. Danielle was our first taste of you Hansen girls. And believe me, she was a handful—” Paul winked at the little girls who were laughing as Danielle rolled her eyes, “—but we grew to love her and couldn’t imagine life without her. Then when we saw all you girls ... we knew we wanted you all to be a part of our lives.”
Lillian watched Paul with tears in her eyes. Paul didn’t often share his feelings like this. He was a loud man, but never shared a lot about himself.
“God gave me a lovely and beautiful wife,” Paul said with a smile at his wife. “And a healthy, great son. And I was prepared to be content with that although I wanted a much bigger family. But then God blessed me with nine girls and two more boys. And that’s my favorite gift.”
No one spoke after Paul finished. A log on the fire shifted, creating a sharp pop and crackle as sparks flew up the chimney.
“Well...” Nadia spoke up, “you and Ma are one of my favorite gifts too, Pa.”
Paul and Lillian both laughed at Nadia’s touching remark.
“Danni,” Faith called, “are you crying?”
Everyone turned to look at Danielle who was attempting to discreetly wipe away a tear. “What? No! I don’t cry!”
“Mhm,” Lillian murmured, bending forward to kiss the top of Danielle’s head.
“I couldn’t help but tear up either,” Cassandra said, defending Danielle. “That meant a lot, Pa. And I know I speak for all of us when I say that we are so grateful for you and Ma. We loved our old life with Mama and Papa, but after God took them home, we couldn’t do it by ourselves. There’s no place I’d rather be right now, than here with all of you.”
“Agreed,” Elsie sighed contentedly.
The group fell to silence again, just enjoying the moment. Though it was nearly past the youngest girls’ bedtime, no one wanted this night to end.
“Can you tell us a story now, Pa?” Megan broke the silence.
“Honey, it’s bedtime,” Lillian protested.
“But it’s Christmas!” Kenny pleaded. “Can’t we stay up just this once?”
“ ‘Just this once,’ ” Lillian shook her head. “If I give in tonight, you’ll want me to give in every night.”
As if they had planned it, all the siblings begged, “Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!”
“Looks like you’re out numbered,” Paul chuckled.
“Oh, all right ... but seriously, only this once!”
“Tell us a story from your mining days,” Isaac called out before anyone else could request a story topic.
“Have you heard the one about me meeting Judd Peterson?” Paul asked.
“No!” came the chorus.
“Well, when I started working for the Rosenthal Mining Company, I needed someone to show me the ropes of the work. This wily old fellow came up to me and he...”
Lillian smiled as she watched the children hang onto every word of Paul’s. Years ago, she had hardly dared to dream of such perfect Christmases and now here she was, living the dream she had told herself to never dream of.

Thank-you, Lord. You know I don’t deserve all this ... but I sure do appreciate it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment