Monday, April 4, 2016

The O'Neal Girls Chapter 22

Goodness! Is it really April already?! This year has flown by! April is my favorite month for many reasons! Maybe I'll do a little post on that soon!

Chapter 22


​            Though Lillian inveighed against it, Paul cut her chores in half. Most of her chores were to take place in the kitchen. She could continue cooking and taking care of dishes but the girls took over the brunt of the house cleaning and laundry. The new chores took place that day. Danielle and Lillian were scrubbing the breakfast plates while Cassandra and Belle began dusting and sweeping. 
​            “I’m sorry Pa had to find out,” Danielle said as she dried a plate. 
​            “He was going to find out sooner or later,” Lillian replied with a short smile. “Don’t worry about it.” 
​            A knock on the door sounded and Lillian went to answer it. She dried her hands on her apron and walked over. She took hold of the knob and pulled open the door. Caleb Carter stood before her.  
“Why, Caleb! Come on in.” Lillian opened the door wider and Caleb whipped off his hat and strolled in. His sandy hair was rumbled but in a handsome, charming way. 
​            “Good morning, Mrs. O’Neal,” he greeted as he took a seat in the parlor. “I was wondering if I could speak to Belle.” 
​            “Of course you can,” Lillian told him. “Danielle!” she called. 
​            Danielle hurried in and said hello to Caleb. “Yes, Ma?” 
​            “Darling, can you please fetch Belle for me?” 
​            “Sure.” Danielle turned and hurried off to find Belle. She found both Cassandra and Belle in Belle and the twins’ bedroom. “Belle, there is someone out in the parlor looking for you.” 
​            “Who is it?” Belle continued folding the blanket in her hands. 
​            “No one important,” Danielle said nonchalantly.  
​            Cassandra peeked out the door and exclaimed, “Oh, Belle! It’s Caleb!” 
“What?” Belle rushed over and stood beside Cassandra. “It is him! Danielle!” Belle turned and glared at her sister before she suddenly exclaimed, “I can’t let him see me like this!” Belle rushed over to the mirror and began pulling the pins out of her loose bun. “Cassandra, help me braid my hair, please.” Belle allowed her hair to fall down to her knees.
Cassandra came over and began helping her braid the flaxen hair. Danielle stood behind them making silly faces in the mirror.
 Lillian came in a moment later. “What are you girls doing?” 
​            Belle turned around. “I’m fixing my hair.” 
​            “And she is driving us crazy,” Cassandra said, nodding to Danielle. 
​            Lillian gently shoved Danielle out into the parlor. “Keep him busy.” 
​            Danielle reluctantly walked over and began chatting amiably. Belle watched her through the mirror. How grateful she was at how understanding Danielle was. Although Danielle was the rebel and jokester, she could be a great friend in time of need. 
​            “I’m all finished,” Cassandra tied off the bow in Belle’s hair. 
​            Belle looked over herself in the mirror. “Thank-you, Dreamer.” Belle took off her apron and walked out the door. Caleb rose from his seat and smiled; flashing a set of slightly crooked white teeth. 
​            “Hello, Belle.” He walked over to the blonde young woman. “Can we go for a walk or a ride?” 
​            Belle turned to look at Lillian who nodded. “Sure. Let’s go for a ride.” 
​            Caleb took Belle’s arm and they both headed for the door. Danielle and Cassandra watched them before turning back to their chores. 
~~~ 
​            Caleb and Belle mounted his pinto horse and rode tandem. Together they rode through verdant meadows and watched the tall Black Hills looming ahead of them; the thick trees dotting the landscape. The horse trotted through the soft grasses. After riding for a good amount of time, Caleb stopped the horse. The sun shone above them with sunlight pouring down on them. Caleb swung down out of the saddle and paced the ground for a few moments then he began to speak. 
​            “Belle, I came today because I wanted to talk with you. I want you to know that I love you. I truly do--with all my heart. I want to spend the rest of my days with you, not away from you.” 
​            Belle looked back at him; her blue eyes searching his face.  


​            “I love you ever so much...” Caleb pulled Belle down off his horse. He took her hand and they walked aimlessly through the forest.  
“I love you too.” Belle smiled at Caleb as they continued on through the wild flowers and budding trees. “I miss you a lot…I hate it when we’re apart.”
“Me too. And I’ve been praying a lot.” Caleb stopped walking and took a deep breath. “I love you Belle and I believe this is God's will.” Caleb knelt down on one knee and looked at Belle with absolute love in his eyes. “Belle, will you marry me?”  
Belle knelt down beside him. There was a moment’s hesitation as she stared at her beloved. What about the girls? she thought. No, they have Paul and Lillian now to take care of them…now it’s time for me to think about myself for once. It’s time to start my new life. “Yes! Yes I will!” Belle threw her arms around him. 
Caleb placed his arms around her waist and held her tightly. “Oh Belle...”  He leaned forward and kissed Belle on the cheek.
Belle laughed merrily. “Let’s go tell my family!” 
They agreed to run home and tell everyone the news. The horse was turned around and galloped back home.  
The two burst through the door an hour later. The three women in the house looked up in surprise. 
​            “We’re getting married!” Belle exclaimed. 
​            “Oh Belle!” Lillian cried, running over. 
​            “How romantic!” Cassandra sighed. 
​            Belle was quickly enfolded in an embrace from her family. “Thanks,” she beamed. 
​            Danielle plodded over slowly with an expressionless face. She walked to Caleb and put her hand on his shoulder. “Caleb…thank-you. You’re sure taking a burden off my shoulders.” That comment, of course, sent the group into a round of laughter while Belle rolled her eyes at Danielle for her teasing comment. 
​            “Belle,” Caleb said once the laughter died down, “let’s go tell my parents now.” 
​            Belle started to agree but stopped. “Caleb, Pa doesn’t know yet.” 
​            “Oh don’t worry. You can go to the Carter’s and come home tomorrow to tell him about it.” Lillian calmed Belle’s worries. 
​            “We won’t say a word,” Cassandra promised. 
​            “Danielle?” Belle said with a questioning look. 
​            “Your secret is safe with me,” Danielle crossed her heart 
​            “Thanks. I’ll just go pack a bag.” Cassandra and Belle ran off to pack. 
~~~ 
​            The following day during supper, Paul heard a wagon pull up. “I wonder who that is,” he stood and headed for the door. 
​            Lillian, in the kitchen, peeked out the window and saw Belle and Caleb climb down and begin towards the house. Paul walked outside and a few moments later, a whoop of joy was heard. 
​            “Lillian!” Paul howled. “You won’t believe this!” 
​            “Belle and Caleb are getting married?” Lillian said with a smile lacing her lips. 
​            “You knew?” Paul said in surprise. 
​            “They decided yesterday and wanted to go tell Caleb’s parents.” 
​            Paul sighed, “So I’m the last to know?” 
​            “No.” Lillian gestured towards the crowd of younger girls congratulating Belle and Caleb. 
​            Paul chuckled as the sisters congratulated Belle and Caleb with enthusiasm. The engaged couple thanked the girls gratefully. Caleb stayed for supper and afterwards, they all gathered around the piano to sing familiar songs. Caleb and Paul sang out in their deep baritones. Belle, Elsie, and Lillian’s soprano rang out with Cassandra, Faith, and Danielle’s alto. The three youngest girls sang in their sopranos. The atmosphere was happy as they sang and talked until Caleb had to leave. The O’Neals waved goodbye to him. 
​            “Time for bed,” Paul announced once Caleb was gone. 
​            He was met by eight groans. 
​            “It’s late, girls,” Lillian spoke up. 
​            They reluctantly headed for their rooms and searched for nightgowns. In a few minutes, all the girls were in bed and Lillian and Paul finished saying goodnight to their daughters. 
~~~ 
PING! 
​            Danielle rolled over in bed.  
PING! PING!  
She clamped her pillow over her ears; trying to escape the noise. “Cassandra!” she muttered elbowing her sister. 
​            Cassandra mumbled something and turned towards Danielle. “What?” 
​            “I think your Prince Charming is throwing rocks at our window.” 
​            “Really?!” Cassandra sprang out of bed and hurried towards the window. “Oh it is him! He wants to see me.” Cassandra watched the dark, lean figure beckon to her from outside the window. Cassandra searched for her dress. 
​            “You are going to see him now?” Danielle called softly from the bed. 
​            “Of course.” 
​            “Sometimes, I wonder if you got dropped on your head when you were a baby.” Danielle pulled the blankets up and over her and settled down. 
​            Cassandra dressed warmly and hurried down to the parlor. She slipped on her shoes and then hurried outside. 
​            The night was cold and the wind bit into Cassandra’s skin. She faced it bravely thinking about how romantic Joe was to visit her late at night. Alice Hansen did well in nicknaming Cassandra “the Dreamer”. Cassandra was often found daydreaming of many different things although most of the time she was dreaming about her future husband. Cassandra hurried to where Joe was standing. But he darted away into the trees and bushes. 
​            “Joe!” Cassandra called after him. Joe continued running so Cassandra followed him. The moonlight was just enough light to see by. The trees and bushes were a deep green and black color; they all seemed to meld together. Every so often, Joe would stop and wave at Cassandra to follow. Cassandra hurried after him. “Joe, please wait.” At her plea, Joe finally stopped behind a tree. Cassandra walked after him. She leaned her head around the tree and saw the figure. The two stepped towards each other. As Joe came into the moonlight, Cassandra suddenly shrieked a terrified scream. Joe rushed over and grabbed her in a hug, muffling the scream. Cassandra pulled away.  
“You’re n-not J-Joe,” she stammered.
The figure shook his head letting long blonde hair toss off his neck. He wore a brown leather jacket. He turned his gray eyes toward her. “Cassie,” he breathed the word as if it were sacred. 

​            “Charles!” Cassandra gasped. “I thought you were in jail!” 
​            “I was...but I paid the bail and I’ve come back for you.” He held her closer. “I’ve been waiting for such a long time to see you.” He went on to explain how he had been working in a good job in the big city; earning lots of money. “I’ve come back to marry you now.” 
​            “Oh, Charles, that was so sweet of you.” She answered timidly and was quite sure she sounded doubtful. “But, I can’t marry a bank robber.” 
​            “I never wanted to rob the bank. Uncle forced me to do it.” 
​            “He did?” Cassandra asked in surprise. 
​            “He forced me just like he did you!” 
​            Cassandra sighed in relief; pleased to know Charles never intended to rob the bank. 
​            “I never stopped loving you,” Charles whispered. With his charming words and cunning ways, he mesmerized Cassandra with his words. “I dream of you every night. I have planned our wedding; our life.” He took Cassandra’s small hand and pressed his lips against her hand. “Oh how I love you!” 
​            Cassandra had completely mixed feelings. I have Joe to think about now…do I still love Charles? Do I truly love Joe? She suddenly felt drawn to Charles, yet thinking of Joe stopped her.
After spending nearly an hour together, Cassandra pulled away and said she must leave.
Charles stared at her, “Come back here; tomorrow afternoon. Promise me.”
​            “I will.” Cassandra turned and walked back towards the house.


No comments:

Post a Comment