Wednesday, February 10, 2016

What Happens Next? #2 Entries

Well, another successful writing assignment! I received two entries from Bethany R and Kaitlyn K.! Thanks for entering girls, you did amazing! I loved reading them!
What Happens Next?!
#2
Entry #1
Bethany R.
This entry was very interesting to read! The ending left me curious who Danielle was with... :D

The banging on the door roused Danielle from her seat. Who could it be at this time of day? she wondered.
Danielle pulled open the door and stood face to face with...the one person she wished to never see again. The moment she saw his face, Danielle's heart raced in fear, anger, pain, and apprehension. She grew pale as a ghost.
        “Wha—What do you want?” she stammered, “I told you that I never wanted to see you again. Why are you here?”
        “Look, Danielle, that incident was many years ago! I thought that you would have gotten over it by now?” the man cocked an eyebrow.
        Every emotion that she had felt on that day long ago when she had told him never to return rushed back in full force. Danielle slowly regained her composure and remained polite but kept her voice cold and words clipped, “I will never simply 'get over' something as horrible as you did, Sir. I will now repeat my earlier question, why are you here?”
        Cockily grinning, the man answered, “Well, for one, ma'am I was hoping you'd give me a second chance.”
        “I hate to disappoint you, Sir, but I have no interest in giving you a second chance. I gave you many and you blew every one. You broke my heart, and hearts are not easily mended. I'm sorry but I have work to attend to.”
        With that, Danielle turned to close the door but glanced back once at the man she had once loved. Her hesitation to close and lock the door cost her. In one swift movement, the man reached out and took hold of her arm. Leaning close to her ear he hissed, “Then I suppose we'll have to do this the hard way, Danielle. I won't let you slip away again. I'm sorry that it had to be this way.”
        Infuriated, all the blood now rushed to Danielle's face as she struggled against the firm hold of the man. Finally, at his taunting laugh, she realized that it was hopeless. As he led her away from her home and into the thickening trees, Danielle focused on leaving behind clues with hopes that she might soon be found and rescued. But she had to be careful lest he catch her and bind her. That would ruin any hope of escape.
        After walking for what seemed like hours, the despised man strode into a clearing and roughly shoved her to the ground. “There Danielle, you can rest for a minute. But make it short.”
        Without thanking him, she gladly took the rest. When she was sure that he wasn't looking, she peeked at the bushes and motioned to someone unseen to remain quiet.
        As a distraction, Danielle began pleading with the man for “just one drop of water.” Grumbling, but figuring that they would travel much slower if she didn't get her desire, the man grumpily wandered to the edge of the clearing where a small brook flowed. He filled his canteen but when he turned around, his captive was nowhere in sight.
        Enraged, he shouted into the trees, “Danielle, if you don't show yerself right now when I find you. . . ” his voice trailed off as he listened for any slight sound.
        Suddenly, right behind him, the bushes crunched and he spun around just in time to catch the well-aimed blow to his head. With a groan, he crumpled to the ground unconscious.
        Danielle beamed at her rescuer and he took her into his arms. They stood like this for a moment before they turned to head back home. Gratefulness overwhelmed Danielle as she thanked her rescuer and her Heavenly Father for his protection.

Entry #2
Kaitlyn K.
Very exciting story, Kaitlyn! Can't believe you're going to make us suffer through a cliffhanger!

The banging on the door roused Danielle from her seat.  Who could it be at this time of day? she wondered.
        Danielle pulled open the door and stood face to face with…
Davy Carter.  His face was blackened and soaked with sweat, and a glance at his horse told Danielle that he had ridden hard to get here.
        “Davy, what’s wrong?”  Danielle asked with alarm.
        Davy’s eyes were wide.  “There’s a fire out at our place!”  He exclaimed.  “We need help!”
        Danielle quickly ran inside.  Rushing up the loft, she changed into her overalls, dashed back down, and ran back to tell the others what had happened.  Belle and Cassandra jumped up right away.
        “We’ll come help!”  Belle exclaimed.
        The three sisters ran to where Davy was waiting.
        “Come on, we’ll have to take Strawberry and Midnight,” she said, pulling Davy’s exhausted horse to the barn.  “Paul took Esther and Ruth to town today.”
        She hopped up on Strawberry and Davy climbed up behind her, and Cassandra and Belle shared Midnight.
        They raced to the Carter homestead, and on the way Davy explained what had happened.
        “Ma and Pa went to town today, and left Caleb and I at home.  We were out splitting fence logs when I went in to start supper; I’m the one of us that’s actually a good cook.  It gets real hot in the kitchen when you start a fire in the stove, so I opened the window.
        “Well, I had just picked up the stew to take it on the table when the wind suddenly blew the curtains over to the stove, and they caught on fire.  I was still holding the big pot, and Caleb was washing, so nobody could do much about it right away, and by the time I set the pot down the fire was spreading fast.
        “When Caleb got in the kitchen and saw that I had started a fire, he grabbed a towel and began to beat the fire with it.  Then he told me to come and get help.”
        Danielle would have laughed at the thought of Davy starting a fire in the kitchen if the situation hadn’t been so serious.
        “Let’s just hope Caleb has the fire under control,” she said.
        By the time they got to the Carter place the horses were lathered with sweat.
        “Cassie, go water the horses!”  Danielle commanded as she ran to the house, smoke billowing out the windows.  “Davy and Belle, go get some buckets from the barn and fill them at the pump!”
        She continued on to the house, hesitating at the doorway.  “Caleb!  Are you in there?”  She yelled.  There was no answer.  Danielle hesitated no longer; she dashed in the house, eyes watering as the acrid smoke reached them.
        Coughing, she yelled Caleb’s name as she crawled on the floor; yet there was no answer.
        Danielle’s hands finally bumped into something—a body!  She grabbed hold and pulled with all her might.  Slowly she pulled Caleb’s body out of the house.


Hope you enjoyed! I hope to host another assignment later this month or next!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, those were some amazing entries! I wanted to enter, but I ended up not having the time. . .looking forward to the next one!
    Bethany, I am dying to know who Danielle was with! That's was a really good piece!
    Kaitlyn. . .of course you loved leaving everyone there. I know how you love cliffhangers. I should know. ;P
    I really loved your piece! It was great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, girls!! I enjoyed reading your entries. :) Kaitlyn, what a cliffhanger!! I'd love to read more of that story. ;) And Bethany, I second Jesseca in wanting to know who Danielle's recuser is. ;)

    Lauren, I really planned to enter this time, but the end of the contest caught up to me. :-/ Ah, well. Next time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured you got busy but that happens to all of us! I'll have to think of another fun writing prompt...

      Delete
  3. You know, I really don't know who she was with. lol. I just made it up as I went! I'm so sorry, all! I just enjoyed writing it. Thanks for hosting, Lauren!

    ReplyDelete