Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Hi My Name is Lauren and I'm a Smarties Addict

G'day readers!

42% of you wanted to hear about the origin of my smarties addiction! I like writing silly posts so this should be fun! I will do my best to give you an accurate description of how my addiction began. (And when I say addiction of course, I don't really mean I'm addicted lol. Just that they are my favorite candy and I love them so much)

First things first: Raise your hand if you like Smarties...good, good...now, raise your hand if you do not like Smarties. okay...okay...

If you said you like Smarties, read on!
If you said you do not like Smarties, LEAVE THIS BLOG RIGHT AWAY. We cannot be friends. :D Kidding, almost all my friends don't care for the candy hahaha. Please, read on!

Yes, I take pictures with Smarties
and use special filters :P
This story is funnier if you personally know the people mentioned below. But I will do my best to tell it and describe it so you understand it find it fun.

I think it was last year (January 2015) when my mom started buying a bag of Smarties and a bag of Dum Dum lollipops for when the Youth Group would go Bible Quizzing. We always had to drive about an hour to another church for quizzing so my mom would hand out smarties (on the way there so we would be smart) and dum dums (on the way home 'cause then we were allowed to be dumb :P) Back then, I liked Smarties but I wasn't obsessed :)

Some of you might remember I posted about VBS at my church last summer. This is when the true addiction began.

The teachers I taught with each night of VBS had a bag of smarties and each night, they would hand out a packet of smarties to each of the kids. On the second night of VBS, "Miss Shirley" (my head teacher) was going around making sure the kids all had smarties. One of my best friends, who was helping with that age group of kids, mentioned to me that she had a packet of smarties. And one of the adults who was there that night said he had his packet of smarties. I go "What?! I didn't get any!" (I mean, who is going to pass up the chance to get candy???) I bring this up to Miss Shirley who simply brushes off my request, mentioning something about how laborers don't get candy (or some ridiculous excuse like that), pats my shoulder, and walks off to prepare for the next event, leaving me standing there, dumbfounded and smarties-less.

The next two nights I still didn't get any Smarties. I didn't bring it up again, hoping that Miss Shirley would remember and get me a pack. But neither Miss Shirley or "Willie" (Miss Shirley's husband) remembered. So the final night came and that night was my final night to get a pack of Smarties. I planned ahead on how I was going to goad the teachers into giving me some smarties. During snack time, I saw Willie walking around, asking questions and handing out Smarties to the kids. It was now or never. I sat down across from three girls who I knew semi-well. One girl was a regular church kid, one was a new church kid, and the other came every year to VBS. If I wanted Smarties, I was going to need their help.

Me: "Hey, you guys think I'm a good person right?"
Girl (Whom I shall call "Candice"): "....What?"
Me: "Don't you think I'm a pretty good person?"
Candice watches me suspiciously: "...yeah..."
Me (to the other two girls): "I seem like a pretty nice person, right?"
Other two girls nod their heads.
Me: "Now, I don't like to complain, buuuuuuuuut I've been working here all week and I haven't gotten any smarties!"
The girls are kinda chuckling now.
I tell the girls that I need them to help me out by telling Miss Shirley that I deserve a pack of Smarties. The girls were hesitant to do this so I quick wrack my brain for a way to keep them interested.
Me: "If you tell Miss Shirley all the stuff I told you to say, I'll give you my snack."
Now the girls are interested.
Candice: "Okay, what did you want me to say again?"
I repeat what I want them to say and I call Miss Shirley over.
Me: "Miss Shirley!"
Miss Shirley: "Yes, dear?"
Me: "These girls have a question for you."
Miss Shirley walks while I nod my head at the girls. Miss Shirley stands beside me and looks expectantly at the girls. I do my best to act causal and pretend I had nothing to do with anything that was about to happen.
Candice: "Do you think Lauren is a good helper?"
By now Miss Shirley has to know something is up but she answers seriously: "Yes, Lauren has been a good helper this week." She puts her hand on my shoulder while I'm sitting there crossing my fingers.
Candice: "Well, I think you should give her some Smarties for being such a good helper!"
Miss Shirley starts laughing and looks to me, while I grin hopefully.
"Well," she says, "I'll go see what I can do."  There was only ONE pack of Smarties left so I was really lucky I got my pack!

A few weeks later, when I walked into church, the greeter handed me a card and a small box. I accepted the card and box and went to my seat. I opened the card which was from Miss Shirley, thanking me for my help during VBS. I then go to the box. Inside the box was nearly a dozen packs of Smarties staring back at me! I guess to make it up to me since I only got one pack of Smarties during the week. Whatever the reason, it brought a smile to my face.

Ever since then, Miss Shirley and my friends just surprise me with Smarties when I go to church. I've never bought my own Smarties. People just give them to me! My Momma buys Smarties for the kids in her class and always gives me the extras :D Any time my friends get some Smarties, they hand them right over to me because most of my friends don't care for the candy. Miss Shirley almost always has Smarties in her purse and usually gets me a packet every other week or so.

So that's how my addiction started. I never meant for this to happen lol. I just wanted to tease Miss Shirley and Willie about not giving me any Smarties. Miss Shirley and Willie are like my aunt and uncle so we joke around with each other a lot. Now everyone at church knows I'm addicted and I used to get teased about it but now it's a generally accepted fact that I love Smarties and I will not share with you unless I am in a really good mood B-) I even introduced the little kids in the nursery to Smarties and they love it :)

In October, when I had my Senior Pictures taken, we took pictures of me with Smarties :D

That is the face of a girl obsessed with Smarties

This picture would've been GREAT if that one Smarties
didn't end up right in the middle of my face :P


12 comments:

  1. Hehe, this was funny, Lauren! Thanks for sharing! Oh, and I really like smarties, too... but I would probably say that my addiction is Cheese-It crackers. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Smarties are great! Cheese-its are amazing too!! I like the regular ones and the Colby cheese ones!
      Thanks for commenting!!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, Lauren, that is hilarious. xD Reminds me of when a bunch of us kids used to aggravate the choir director at our previous church. We would call her 'grandma' and mess with her teenager hair-style. :P So funny! ;) There was a Mrs. Shirley at our last church, too. She directed the hand bells for years. :D
    I would say my addiction is jolly ranchers, especially the gummies and the filled ones. :)
    Thanks so much for sharing your smarties story! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, I love your senior pictures!! :D

      Delete
    2. :-) haha awesome! We have a few people like that in our church that us Youth kids love hanging around with. Miss Shirley's full name for the VBS week was "Shirly U. Swim" and I took to referring to her as "Miss Shirley". Her husband's name was "Willie Sink" and I was "Misty Rapids"
      I've never had the gummie filled jolly ranchers!! They sound amazing!
      Aw thanks! We had a fun time with the pictures.
      Glad you liked the post!

      Delete
  3. Here in Canada, those type of candies are called are Rockets.And what we call Smarties are a candy covered chocolate. I love a lot of different candies and saying what my favorite one was would be hard to do :)
    Thanks for telling the story on your "addiction".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh! Cool! I always assumed the Smarties name was universal. Picking candy favorites is tough. I split mine into categories like "chocolate" "sugary" "sour" etc haha.
      Thanks for stopping by, Tia!

      Delete
  4. That is so funny, Lauren! Thanks for sharing. :)
    I really like Smarties too. ;)

    I really like your senior pictures. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it funny! Yay! A fellow Smarties lover!!
      Thanks!! One of my best friends took the pictures so it was a fun time!
      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  5. Haha, this was hilarious! Actually, when I read Smarties, I thought you meant the chocolate ones :P I've never actually heard these candies called smarties before! Maybe it's a US thing? ;)

    Oh, and I LOVE your senior pictures! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked up the chocolate Smarties and they looked interesting. Apparently the sugary Smarties are a US thing :)
      Thanks!! Thanks for commenting

      Delete
  6. Mmm! Yes, I like Smarties. No, I'm not an addict, but they rock all the same! I could become addicted though.... Thanks for sharing! (Cute pics!)

    ReplyDelete